UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2011, 3:18 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default HMV Cavendish fan heater

Hi,

I've never dealt with vintage fan heater before, so I'd appreciate any tips and advice about general dissasembly and the re-painting of it.

Probably, more importantly, the heating element is damaged (please see photo #2). Can I get a replacement or is it repairable? Also, whilst looking at that photo, can anybody tell me if that "fuseable link" (circled red) is okay? It looks more like a soldered link to me

TIA
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	45404   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	45405  
Old 20th Jan 2011, 5:34 pm   #2
Jamie-Skinner
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HMV Cavendish fan heater

Hmmmm Looks fishy to me!! I have no idea about heaters either.. But them heating elements look in bad shape.. I think radiator paint might do the job?
Old 20th Jan 2011, 5:56 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Dave, the only way to repair the element would be to try and crimp the ends together either with a brass join or by twisting the ends together tightly. The soldered fusible link would spring apart during an overheat incident as the solder melts thereby cutting the power to the unit. This action is similar to that on those Philips mains transformers of the fifties.
Neil
Old 20th Jan 2011, 6:21 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Going by its general appearance, I think you might find that the element has become brittle, and any attempt to join it will result in bits breaking off.
You might be lucky, though!
Old 20th Jan 2011, 6:25 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Special high-temperature paint is available for use on radiators. Disassemble carefully, taking pictures as you go.

The break in the element can be repaired; although it will have to be a mechanical connection, as ordinary solder doesn't stick to resistance wire. As long as you don't shorten the element by too much, you shouldn't affect the current significantly. Just slip a few mm. of thin brass tubing over the broken ends and crimp with pliers. Note that resistance wire is also not very springy, especially after many heating and cooling cycles, and is prone to accidental breakage.

I'd fit a modern thermal fuse just to be on the safe side (82p from Maplin is cheaper than your house burning down). Douse this liberally with freezer spray before and during soldering, obviously
Old 20th Jan 2011, 6:40 pm   #6
Station X

It might be an idea to have the case powder coated. The coaters will blast the casing back to bare metal, which is much easier than stripping it off yourself using wirewool or whatever. High temperature resistant coatings are available, but probably unnecessary.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Jan 2011, 6:47 pm   #7
richrussell
Heptode

I've got one of those The outer panels do come off fairly easily if things aren't too rusted up. The enamel on mine isn't too bad - but I would guess that some cream radiator enamel would do the trick.

I too had many breaks in the heater elements (I think if you do a search on here you'll find me asking for suitable replacement wire). However, as one of the elements was broken very near to one end (about 7cm worth of coil), so I just spread the coils a bit so it was long enough. The other element I used a crimp connector (plastic body and the spade bit removed) to clamp two sections together.

Standard oven bulbs fit in the bulbholder, though I think it's meant to be red coloured.
The only thing I need to do with mine now is balance the fan blades a bit more so it's not so noisy.
Old 20th Jan 2011, 7:10 pm   #8
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Both of my Cavendishes have bakelite grills,only the top and base being metal though only one has shed its paint. this does not appear to be anything special, and I use car spray with good effect. The easy (and so far, safe) way to repair the elements is to use the inner of a small choc-block connector as the ends can be clamped by the screws. They don't produce a great deal of heat, but look great with a small orange or fireglo bulb when switched on. Hope this is of some assistance.

Rick.
Old 20th Jan 2011, 7:10 pm   #9
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrussell View Post
I've got one of those
... I don't suppose you could scan the instructions off the bottom, as mine is half missing.
Quote:
The outer panels do come off fairly easily if things aren't too rusted up.
I can't figure out how to take it apart. Please can you explain?

Regards
David
Old 20th Jan 2011, 7:12 pm   #10
kalee20
Dekatron

I've got one, too.

Mine has an unpainted top (which gets quite hot but not dangerously so), and the metal base is black enamelled. Side pieces are off-white / magnolia. It might be worth checking whether somebody before your time has decided to paint yours.

As a heater, by the way, it is really good! (and yes, I have a red fire-glow lamp inside).
Old 20th Jan 2011, 10:10 pm   #11
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I have one of these, all working and original.

The sides and top are Bakelite, painted, with a red bulb inside.

I can post some pics if it helps

Richard
Old 20th Jan 2011, 11:05 pm   #12
Radio_Dave
Nonode

5 metal crimps have put back together the element, but I'll wait until I've painted and re-wired it before I see if it works.

I'm having trouble finding heat resistant paint. The only cream colour I can find is only good to 190 deg C, but I'll give it a try. I think I'll strip the top and leave it, bare, black Bakelite (like kalee20's). This also makes it easy to find a black enamel for the metal base.

If anybody does have a scan or photo of the instructions, glued to the underside, I'll be very happy

David
Old 21st Jan 2011, 9:36 am   #13
richrussell
Heptode

The outside doesn't actually get that hot, so 190C paint should be fine.
I'll take a photo of the instructions on mine if they're intact this weekend.

I can't remember how the sides come off, only that I did take them off (mainly because it gave me better access to fix the heater coils). I'll see if I can work it out again.

Sad to say that mine lives in my garage, on the workbench rather than in the house. But because of the way the slats are angled downwards, you get a nice layer of warm air at bench level which is quite pleasant at this time of year. And when set to blow cold air, that's good in the summer.
Old 21st Jan 2011, 11:43 am   #14
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks Richard, I've actually managed to disassemble it. You have to loosen the four clips at the bottom and then lift the sides up and out.

I do want to fit a modern thermal fuse, but what temperature should I buy?

David
Old 21st Jan 2011, 11:03 pm   #15
Zelandeth
Heptode

One thought for the elements as well would be to simply pick up a modern heater (or replacement elements for it) and transplant them.

If the clamp repair doesn't hold, might be worth thinking about. At least the coils from a modern heater should still be springy enough to be manhandled into position without breaking apart in your hands.

Only headache there I guess might be that we don't know the resistance per foot of the old one, so the overall resistance of the element might not match up.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 3:42 pm   #16
richrussell
Heptode

Here's a photo of the label on the base

Note it says you should oil the fan motor every 1st January or you'll be needing a new fusible link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000869.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	45824  
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 4:05 pm   #17
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks Rich, That's brilliant
Old 24th Jan 2011, 5:48 pm   #18
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Note it says you should oil the fan motor every 1st January
Wouldn't 1st June be better, when you're not using the heater?
Old 25th Jan 2011, 9:47 pm   #19
Jamie-Skinner
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Here's a photo of the label on the base - Link

Note it says you should oil the fan motor every 1st January or you'll be needing a new fusible link.
Very odd... I wish modern technology had these funny sentences..
It seems nearly every vintage device had some weirdly funny warning about it..
Old 25th Jan 2011, 11:58 pm   #20
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Actually you should be able to buy a whole new spring, my blower heater has about a 15 inch one, you should be able to use a few of those and crimp the ends on them like they did to this one.
-Chris
Closed Thread