UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2015, 8:37 pm   #1

Default Ironing board

The missus's ironing board was considered 'knackered' by her, new one needed. She couldn't find one as good as the old one (the new ones had plastic for the iron rest!) so I sanded off the rust (steam irons are a great rust creator), repainted with Hammerite and put on a new cover.

OK it was just an inexpensive Beldray one (well made) but a restoration is a restoration and it's good for the next few years.

Result, SHMBO is well chuffed and I enjoyed doing it.

Old 21st Sep 2015, 9:49 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Ironing board

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Result, SHMBO is well chuffed and I enjoyed doing it.
Yes but do you enjoy using it

J.
Old 22nd Sep 2015, 10:34 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I suspect the skills are similar to veneering cabinets although I was only trained in ironing. I worked in a Manchester Dry Cleaners in 1966-what a year "Hot Town Summer In the City" We had steam benches and old flat irons as weights. It was so hot we had to work during the night as the shop windows faced south.

My boss was a bit of a case and wore the super expensive suits of his top customers to go out in the evening-boasting about it. These were "influential" people and not in a nice way Invevitably one of these hard men turned up at 10am while the boss was behind the counter, still in the customer's suit
Somehow...he talked his way out of disaster-something about giving it a "test run"
Dave W
Old 24th Sep 2015, 12:36 am   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

I'd suspect Mods might like to conceal this post from ladies, else they might get ideas that instead of doing our thing, we get ore involved with helping out with house work. I'm immune,as i once tried out for ironing duties with Mrs OC and failed miserably.
Old 24th Sep 2015, 12:29 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Mrs H likes ironing even less than I do. On those rare occasions when it has to be done, an old blanket goes on the dining room table.

ISTR we did have an ironing board about 3 houses ago

Getting back somewhere near topic, ironing boards went sadly downhill in terms of practicality when the asbestos cement heatproof iron parking zones got H&S'd out of existence. Does anyone make one with perhaps some other ceramic or silicon rubber type of mat?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Sep 2015, 2:17 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

That's a point. It doesn't have to be asbestos which was thought to be so handy in it's day. Our ironing board is one of those "designed to be awkward" deckchair type jobs which could do with modification and refurbishment.
No doubt there are other designs out there?

Despite my background, we don't do a lot of ironing [not my wife's favourite either]. On the other hand, I've always found it more rewarding not to play up to the stereotype if you want to impress

There was a fashion among the young to look crumpled about 10 years back and my nephew asked me what I thought about his £100 pre-wrinkled shirt.
I said "I've got one of those". He said "Have you? incredulously....I said, yes "in the washing basket"

Dave
Old 24th Sep 2015, 2:25 pm   #7

Quote:
ironing boards went sadly downhill in terms of practicality when the asbestos cement heatproof iron parking zones got H&S'd out of existence
This one has a thin aluminium rest, it has a raised 'Beldry' logo on it reducing the heat loss.

Old 24th Sep 2015, 4:13 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Being a practical man, one Christmas I offered to buy the good lady a new ironing board.
We were nearly divorced. Jewellery saved the day.

Remember the asbestos heat pads well, and the asbestos mats for under pans to reduce the heat!

Now, on board we have no board if you follow the drift, but we do have an iron. Its used on the table top again, but very rarely. Creased clothes are the in thing on boats!
Old 24th Sep 2015, 5:32 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Coincidentally, the rise of AI and Robots was being discussed on Inside Science today. A [female] scientist suggested that we may not just hand over everything to the Robotic help eg we have washing machines but still retain the rest of the task. On the other hand, she said, never mind just pursuing the Robotic approach. Why haven't we yet built a machine that will wash, dry and IRON clothes
Perhaps those who don't iron [especially engineers] don't see a problem
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Sep 2015 at 6:01 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2015, 5:39 pm   #10

Quote:
Perhaps those who don't iron [especially engineers]
Engineers only iron when needed.

Old 24th Sep 2015, 7:50 pm   #11
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi, I often find Ironing Boards, that have been discarded just because the cover is worn.

In fact, I have one at the moment, white, medium size, mesh platform.
Currently, £20 new from Argos.

A little spraypaint from a cheapo store and a new cover from Wilkos and will be almost as good as new.

The Wilkos covers are thick and reasonable priced.
However have found other covers cost equal or more than half the cost of a new board.

I prefer the drawstring type cover, which require two people to fit.
Have found the elastic versions seem to lose elasticity after not too long.

Regards - Mike
Old 24th Sep 2015, 8:02 pm   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Does anyone make one with perhaps some other ceramic or silicon rubber type of mat?
Our Minky ironing board has a silicone rubber buffer in the end so the iron can be parked at an angle. It's a bit larger than the Beldray models we had in the past.

I'm an engineer and I don't mind ironing. In fact, when we had the BD272 / B6122 HF transmitters at work, we used to dry our laundry on evening shift in the crypt hot-air ducts where the waste transmitter heat was vented. Some engineers used to take a board in and iron at work!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Sep 2015, 1:44 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I don't own a single shred of clothing that requires ironing. It must be the most time wasting job ever invented and should be reserved for those that require some form of therapy..
Oh, and I hate Mrs Dales Diary and Womans Hour. John.
Old 25th Sep 2015, 3:04 pm   #14
Station X

Time to fold up the ironing board and put it back in the cupboard.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread