UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:32 pm   #1
ToneArm
Pentode

Default Pillar drill stepped pulley and belts

I got a nu tool pillar drill missing its motor on ebay, it looked very much like the one i have already but with a nice rack and pinion mech on the table. When i picked it up it turned out to be a much bigger machine, and a definate step up in quality from my old one. No model or serial number to be found, but it looks similar to a n-7b but with a square table not round.

I have found a suitable motor that mounts and lines up nicely, however i am not sure how to specify a pulley and belts. Can someone give me some pointers to measure the existing pulleys and work out what's needed please.

It looks like by the time i finally get it working i could have bought a fully working one as these go pretty cheaply second hand. At least i can make it a learning exercise...

Thanks
Glyn
Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:54 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Pillar drill stepped pulley and belts

This may help:-

http://www.beltingonline.com/a-secti...alculator-8405

I assuming the belt is of 'A' cross section. Most of these I've fond on machine tools are. Check here:-

http://www.beltingonline.com/vee-and...g-v-belts-591/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:06 pm   #3
ToneArm
Pentode

Graham, thanks for the links.
Regards glyn
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 5:31 pm   #4
John_BS
Octode

Glyn:

From my limited experience of buying pulleys & belts, the costs do mount up!

My own pilllar drill tends to stay on one (lowish) speed* for 98% of the time, so it may be more cost-effective in the short-term to buy one (single-diameter) motor pulley and matching belt untill such time as you happen upon a multi-speed pulley (= the inverse of the quill pulley).

John

* 600 -700 rpm.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 6:13 pm   #5
Station X

Any new stepped pulley will need to be similar to the existing one, but will need to be mounted the other way up.

Picador used to be the source for this sort of thing, but I think they went out of business.

Plenty of stepped pulleys on eBay, but you may have to find someone who can bore the centre to the correct size and if necessary broach a keyway in it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Oct 2015, 8:08 pm   #6
ToneArm
Pentode

Tried to take the intermediate pulley and use it on the motor shaft but it was just too small to make the swap. It had roller bearings so opening out not an option. I just ordered a single 2 inch pulley for nine quid, John. That will get it spinning and I can still change speeds on the intermediate pulley.
Cherrs
Glyn
Closed Thread