UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2011, 2:04 pm   #21
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Cavendish fan heater

Oh dear, that's EVERY 1st of January. I've missed several when I wasn't using my own Cavendish heater at all for a few years. I'd better keep quiet about this. Must pay more attention to the instructions in future...
Old 28th Jan 2011, 4:38 pm   #22
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
It might be worth cannibalising a new heater for the element, provided it has similar springs.
Amazing what the ordinary householder was expected to be capable of (changing the fusible links and oiling the motor). Today's label would state sternly: "No user serviceable parts inside - refer servicing to qualified service personnel".
How times have changed.
Glyn
Old 28th Jan 2011, 4:51 pm   #23
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry for the late response but I'm still removing the old paint, which is proving difficult!

Should the old element fail, I've been wondering is I could coil up some nichrome wire, of the correct size and length and make my own elements?

David
Old 28th Jan 2011, 5:39 pm   #24
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Oh dear, that's EVERY 1st of January. I've missed several when I wasn't using my own Cavendish heater at all for a few years.
I think if you don't use the heater, you can leave it for, say, two years, and then apply two drops of oil
Old 15th Feb 2011, 1:33 am   #25
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Okay, it's all done and dusted and working nicely

Either my favourite brand of paint stripper has been weakened or the old paint on this heater was particularly hard, but I ended up hand scraping to remove the paint... It took absolutely ages!

Aerosol paint, resistant to 200 °C, was used to finish the heater, a new 'warning' transfer was made for the back door and an 'instruction' label made for the bottom.

A 'modern' 128 °C thermal fuse was fitted, where the old (bodged) one once was. Dodgy wiring was replaced and a red 15W pygmy bulb was fitted, which gives it a nice, warm, glow .

Hope you like it (I do!)

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	46823   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	46824  
Old 15th Feb 2011, 1:41 am   #26
mark pirate
Dekatron

That has come up a treat!
I used to have a very battered example a few years ago, it gave up the ghost & got dumped, wish i still had it now...

Mark
Old 15th Feb 2011, 8:52 am   #27
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

You have made a good job there, well worth the effort. I just hope you don't need to use it, Electric Bills! John.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 10:50 am   #28
richrussell
Heptode

Mine looks really shoddy now in comparison. I'll have to strip the paint from mine and give it a good makeover like yours!

It's and odd design though - the downward facing louvres mean that whatever surface you put it on gets quite warm, and the hot air has to travel along the surface before rising. Mine's currently on the end of my garage workbench, so provides a pleasant temperature where your hands are working - but I can't see it being the most efficient way to heat a room.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 11:05 am   #29
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Superb job, David!
Old 15th Feb 2011, 11:24 am   #30
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrussell View Post
It's and odd design though - the downward facing louvres mean that whatever surface you put it on gets quite warm, and the hot air has to travel along the surface before rising.
Yes, it does warm the living room up nicely but the carpet, around it, does get really hot

Regards
David
Old 15th Feb 2011, 1:44 pm   #31
kalee20
Dekatron

Well done Dave. In fact, brilliantly well done Dave.

I do like these heaters, which are quiet in operation but effective. The floor does get a bit warm due to the louvres directing the air downwards, but you can sit six feet away and still feel the warm air on your feet as opposed to your face.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 3:25 pm   #32
neil29
Heptode

Excellent job Dave. now i know where to send anything of mine that needs repainting . cheers neil.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 6:11 pm   #33
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Looks really good - nice job!
I guess the louvres persuade the air to travel some distance from the heater before rising, so you don't need to sit right next to the heater to keep warm.
Old 15th Feb 2011, 7:29 pm   #34
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

I have the slightly posher version of this entirely chomed steel and looks like the top of a dalek mine was in a dubious state when bought i ventured to out local scrap metal yard and robbed new element wire out of a couple of dead modern fan heaters which works a treat .

has anyone got a mk11 pifco warmosphere kicking about i left mine in the old house by accident .
Closed Thread