UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2010, 7:56 pm   #1
rob77
Tetrode

Default The Dining room heater

Hi all

As we seem to be having a heater fest I thought I would post a couple of pics of my very early Heatrae Sadia. She has been brought back into service this weekend after her summer holiday (under the stairs) into the dining room. I think it is from the late 20s early 30s but I'm happy to be corrected.

I restored her a couple of years ago, and most of the original mica washers had crumbled to nothing. After making some more from the window of an old parafin stove she lived once more!! The body is built of cast iron and once she has been on for a while you can switch off and enjoy the storage effects of the cast iron for ages after!!

Boy I love this old gear!!!

Cheers chaps
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030054.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	41584   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030055.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	41585   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030057.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	41586   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030059.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	41587  
Old 18th Oct 2010, 8:11 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: The Dining room heater

Hi,
That's a splendid bit of kit is that! Can the switches be turned either way, or only clockwise - ON then OFF then ON then OFF, etc.? I've got a switch similar that only goes one way. Are they the original elements? My first job after leaving school was in an old fashioned radio & TV dealer and he sold replacement spirals made by PIFCO.
Cheers de Pete
Old 18th Oct 2010, 8:28 pm   #3
rob77
Tetrode

Yes clockwise only switches. If you turn them the other way the knob comes off!! As far as I can tell they are original elements.
She is lovely. I have such an affection for this old gear. I cant imagine a modern 2KW 'plastic special' heater to still be working in 70 years time!
Old 18th Oct 2010, 8:29 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thats a nice old fire, is there meant to be a guard that fits in to the four rectangular holes in the front?

Mark
Old 18th Oct 2010, 8:32 pm   #5
rob77
Tetrode

? I have been told that there was some form of child guard that fitted to it but I've never seen one. It would seem that something sholud have fitted to the front though.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 7:16 am   #6
bobsterkent
Hexode

that is just drop dead gorgeous!
Old 19th Oct 2010, 8:55 am   #7
richrussell
Heptode

My grandmother had a similar type of heater, and it was placed in the fireplace instead of the coal grate when the Clean Air Act came in. She used to put the same fireguard that was used when she had a coal fire in front - hence there's no real need for protection on the elements in the same way as there's nothing to stop people (or my daft dogs) touching the flames on a coal fire...
Old 21st Oct 2010, 6:52 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

Wow - I want one, but SWMBO wouldn't let it in the house I am sad to say. Looking at the knobs on the front I have to ask whether it has a built in radio?

Paul
Old 21st Oct 2010, 8:05 pm   #9
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
I worked for a while for Heatrae Sadia here in Norwich.
The older members of staff had fond memories of being covered in asbestos dust and being blown off with an airline after work in the early 60s! (Those still alive anyway......)
Lovely looking heater, Heatrae mainly make water heaters and showers now and I cant see anyone collecting these in 50 years time.
Regards,
Rob
Old 21st Oct 2010, 8:20 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

What a wonderful looking fire and still working after all these years.
Closed Thread