UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2019, 5:52 pm   #1
magicmax27
Retired Dormant Member

Default RAP 646 restored

Hi all. I have just finished restoring a nice Rap 646. This is the 6 valve version. I just wanted to show it to you guys and see what you think, it does still need a bit of work here and there to get it perfect and the chrome chassis could do with going over again but theres are things ill do in time. I have replaced all the components underneath minus a couple of pf caps in the IF stages and replaced a valve 6Q7G as some one had used the wrong one and now she works great. The paint on the glass dial was flaking away so with some soapy cold water and a sponge it wiped off slowly. I replaced it with a white peace of A4 paper cut to shape and smoothed on with some water to wet it slightly then again with a think layer of PVA glue. It was a test to see if it would work so it would be easy to remove if need be. The cabinet was sanded to remove the old finish and then wiped over with a damp yellow duster. It have received its first coat of linseed oil with amazing effects. Im not going lacquer it, just treat it occasionally with linseed oil. All bulbs are new and it was realigned on my very messy bench.
The speaker mesh cloth is original and washed by hand in soapy water. There is a small hole but it can be replaced anytime.
I got this radio from ebay for £11.50 two years ago and its been sat in the garage till about 2 weeks ago. I love the shape and style and the design of the circuit is so simple that works fantastic with a good sound.
I believe the radio is 1946, British but built in Jersey and was a rental set, o only know this due to reading about it elsewhere.
Its my first full restoration to include the cabinet and very luck to find a complete set.
This ones a keeper. The change from antique dust smell to a nice wood linseed is almost like its new again... almost lol.
Its a great feeling to see something like this from an era that was so difficult for so many to be brought back to life so we can hear the sound they had back then.
Iv added 2 photos 😊😀 the rear shot was before it was finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-44-48.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	191058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-45-28.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	191059  
Old 29th Sep 2019, 6:48 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: RAP 646 restored

What a fascinating radio - both in terms of the 'modular' chassis layout (which I like) and the styling (which is not so much to my taste - it looks to me like an adventure in making-from-wood-something-that-would-have-been-better-made-in-Bakelite).

Good to see it restored though; I'm intrigued by what appears to be a blanked-off valve-hole in the central chassis-module: was there perhaps a push-pull version?
Old 29th Sep 2019, 7:22 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very nice indeed,yes I love mine too.Good thought re blanked off valve holder,though never seen a push pull version and not sure if any other models used that chassis or not.
Old 29th Sep 2019, 7:52 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

I no longer have any RAP radios I always thought the chrome chassis very American.

Gerry Wells always used to refer to them as a used car salesmans set

The Glass backs and chrome chassis is very flash but they are well made and sound pretty good.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 29th Sep 2019, 8:59 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I do agree with that Mike!
Old 29th Sep 2019, 10:57 pm   #6
music-centre
Heptode

Nice Radio, there was a version with push/pull but looks as if there is a blanked out hole in the IF module?
Steve.
www.radiomuseum.org/r/rap_646.html
Old 30th Sep 2019, 8:09 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There was indeed a PP version of the chassis, usually fitted in the console model (846).

Paul's data shows two variants of the RF section, and two of the power section, but only one IF. All examples I've seen have that blanking plate. I like Jon's comment here: http://www.thevalvepage.com/radios/rap/846/rap846.htm

I think the most amazing thing about these were that something so opulent was made immediately after the war. Sure, there were a lot of surplus components about, but everything else must have been hard to come by. They also seem to have sold an awful lot of them, judging by the number that still turn up. Or were they all rented, initially?

Nick.
Old 30th Sep 2019, 12:53 pm   #8
linescan87
Heptode

My friend John bought one of these at the NVCF a few years ago but has yet to get it going. I agree, with a shape like that bakelite would have been more appropriate.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 10:40 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I think the most amazing thing about these were that something so opulent was made immediately after the war. Sure, there were a lot of surplus components about, but everything else must have been hard to come by. They also seem to have sold an awful lot of them, judging by the number that still turn up. Or were they all rented, initially?
Remember though that there was a lot of pent-up demand for new stuff after the enforced hiatus of WWII - and lots of people wanted a bit of luxury rather than having stuff that reminded them of the 'make do and mend' mindset, austerity and rationing they'd had to endure for nearly a decade. Not just radios/TVs - an ancient family-friend used to run a hardware store and would often tell about the time in the late-40s when his shop was besieged one Saturday morning after word got round he'd received a consignment of petrol-engined lawnmowers!
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 11:14 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's very interesting.

I looked up the address on the label attached to one of my 646s and found it to be a run-of-the-mill 1930s suburban semi, not the grand country pile I'd imagined.

Nick.
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 1:28 pm   #11
G4XWDJim
Octode

I repaired one of the console models for someone about 30 years ago and was impressed with its performance at the time before all this interference we now suffer started.

Later I made the owner a stand alone solid state BFO so that he could listen to SSB having developed an interest when he toured my then well equipped shack.

The valve lineup if I recall correctly made it similar to an R1155, one IF stage less I think.

The tuning knob is a Muirhead drive by the look of it. Altogether fairly impressive with its chrome chassis.

Jim
Old 7th Oct 2019, 10:39 am   #12
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Yes they do use a Muirhead drive, or possibly a copy.

Great set, well done on the restoration.
I have one of these, had it for over 20 years, & still going strong after my original restoration.
Definitely worth keeping. When I had mine on display, I had a mirror on the wall at the rear of the set, - always caused fascination to visitors.

David.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 2:00 pm   #13
Beardyman
Hexode

What a great job! I've seen these before & always liked the, for want of a better description, style of them. Very reminiscent of the Art Deco period, the speaker grille always put me in mind of a building not far from me on top of Portsdown Hill. An excellent, sympathetic & practical restoration. Is it just me or do the controls look, somehow, out of place? That is by no means a criticism, maybe I've looked at far too many other sets with the standard brown ones!
Excellent job nonetheless.
Old 13th Oct 2019, 8:48 pm   #14
crackle
Rest in Peace

Very nice restoration, and a beautiful set but the trouble for me is it looks TOO FRENCH.

Mike
Closed Thread