UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 1:06 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Finally got and restored a Murphy A30c

After restoring the table model and really pleased with how that set performs and looks I had my heart set on the Console version.
These don't seem to be rare but a lot of the ones that do turn up are often rough with ripped speaker fabric and knocked about cabinets.
Some might remember I put a wanted ad on this forum but with not success. (perhaps members don't want to part with their A30C's) I decided Ebay was probabily the best place and after a year or so a good one turned up, I was pleased to win it and the added benefit it wasn't too far away to collect it.
I had a nice chat with the man selling it, it was part of his late fathers collection and along with many other sets it had spent the last 30 years in a garage.
He proudly told me he had plugged it in and it actually worked!...Not a good idea as the mains lead was lethal.
The cabinet was good but the varnish let the look of the set down, it had gone light in colour and was obscuring the attractive Indian Laurel veneer.
So I stripped it all off and built up layers of new varnish, I used my "wet and dry between coats" method and achieved an very flat finish.
A really good asset to the radio is the remarkable condition of the original speaker fabric, it almost looks as new.
After replacing the mains lead and all the usual wax capacitors, I decided it power it up, it worked really well, even the smoothing capacitors in the Murphy block didn't need changing.
The speaker required a bit of adjustment as it was buzzing with anything that had a bit of bass.
The set has a really nice deep sound and I've been using it quite a bit over the past few weeks.
Only one problem with the set....ever tried to move one....it weighs a ton!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0017.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	185248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0018.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	185249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	185250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0020.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	185251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0021.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	185252  

Old 17th Jun 2019, 1:42 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Finally got and restored a Murphy A30c

That speaker assembly looks more like a sizeable motor! I presume it is a mains energised type?
Old 17th Jun 2019, 3:39 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

What a splendid restoration Clive well done ,and well done for waiting so long to get one , I restored a similar one with the mirror dial on the top I cannot remember the model number,I wish I had kept it ,still needs must . Mick.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 4:03 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

A very nice job, and the 'speaker cloth is almost a miracle. Murphy's cloth that year isn't the most durable, I've seen any number of otherwise very well preserved sets where it's long gone or beyond redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
Only one problem with the set....ever tried to move one....it weighs a ton!
You'll not think the A30C so bad when you secure an A30RG to complete the trio.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 4:55 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got one of those Clive but I doubt it will ever look as good as yours
Another really excellent Murphy revival. As you say, surprisingly heavy, especially the speaker-much like the deceptively small sized Pye Fenman 2 Radiogram [the speaker again] or a stone fish statue I once thought would just slide easily along the floor. It didn't give way... but my back did!

Dave
Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:01 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very nice too.For the record unless this is the set,I never heard back from that A30C that was free for collection.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:17 pm   #7
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
You'll not think the A30C so bad when you secure an A30RG to complete the trio.
I have the radiogram version, it sits in the corner awaiting attention to the turntable...but that's another story!
Something that's a little odd. The cheaper table version has pick-up sockets on the back but the console doesn't. I would have thought it would be the other way about.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 8:56 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good point Clive. The turntable could have gone on top perhaps? I notice that the console version is £13 but the RG is £24 + [Diagram Dungeon]. Perhaps they thought that the customer base wanting a superior free standing console radio was different to the record playing one. Or maybe leaving out the sockets might persuade anyone able to raise £13 to go for a Radiogram

Dave
Old 17th Jun 2019, 10:02 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
Something that's a little odd. The cheaper table version has pick-up sockets on the back but the console doesn't. I would have thought it would be the other way about.
Very interesting, and I'd never noticed despite owning the table and console versions in the past. I suppose the case may have been made that the provision of sockets on the table model opened the possibility of playing records to anyone on a tighter budget or short of space, whereas the radiogram is quite as compact as any likely combination of A30C and record deck, and was probably more or less as affordable too.

Paul
Old 17th Jun 2019, 10:56 pm   #10
Andrewausfa
Octode

Very nice Clive, that cloth is in super condition. I thought my slightly younger A70 was heavy but looking at that...

Andrew
Old 18th Jun 2019, 12:50 pm   #11
LyntonP
Hexode

Excellent job young man. You have obviously worked very hard on this. Well done.
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 2:47 am   #12
batterymaker1
Heptode

That cabinet has a rich woodgrain finish to it.