UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:07 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Testing erase voltage (120khz) question

Will a decent professional DMM ( AC multimeter) show the correct (ballpark) AC test voltage or do you need to use an oscilloscope to do this?
(Not sure if they only work on 50hz)
Is a diode required in the signal path to interpret the results?
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:23 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Testing erase voltage (120khz) question

Depends on the mu8ltimeter! If a decent professional one, there's likely to be the spec on-line.

120kHz is pushing it, to be honest - I'd expect maybe 10kHz with falling-off in accuracy above. But, check the spec.

Not sure what you mean about a diode in the signal path - the erase head should see only HF AC!
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:25 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

No a basic DMM typically only goes up to around 400Hz, much more expensive ones will go somewhat higher. But for this high frequency bias you really need to either measure with a scope, remember that a scope will display peak to peak value, whereas bias measurements referenced in manuals typically will be rms.

A typical old Avo multimeter will only go up to around 2kHz on AC voltage, so also is no good for HF bias measurements.

For direct rms reading you really need something like an old V.T.V.M. i.e. a Vacuum Tube (Valve) Volt Meter or a slightly more modern FET VOM.

You do not need a diode.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:31 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Oscilloscope?
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:10 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

I always used a 'scope, you can check the bias frequency as well.

The 'scope is one of the best tools out for tape recorder fault finding and checking, the other for me was the Ferrograph test set.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:12 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Scope with a good x10 probe to avoid capacitive loading. No contest.

I have one multimeter that doesn't roll off until 200kHz which is pretty unusual. It's an old AVO EA113. I wouldn't trust it for this job due to capacitance of the leads.

David
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:49 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

That Avo has impressive performance David.

I see it is an electronic AVO with FET inputs.

David
Old 8th Apr 2020, 12:21 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Have a look at the prices EA113s fetch nowadays. They are invoked in the cal procedure for VCM163s and the audio gang are after them!

It's a rather nice little instrument, runs for years on 4 AA cells, and mine is my main bench multimeter. Big snag is they go loopy if there is strong RF around.

David
Old 8th Apr 2020, 3:07 am   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

I've always used an oscilloscope. A good test of the erase function is if it (fully) erases tapes. To test the frequency, fr. counters are cheap these days.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 4:41 pm   #10
garry71
Tetrode

Would a normal DMM at least show if some sort of voltage was present at the head, if only to eliminate the head itself from being faulty?
Old 15th Apr 2020, 11:21 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Depends upon the DMM, unless a good one I would say not much of any use, even if you see a voltage you will not know if it is in the right ballpark frequency wise.

I tried my DMM tonight on my TK 14 which is 57kHz bias similar to your 54 kHz on your Ferguson (DMM 400Hz AC voltage spec but from signal generator tests I know it will read reasonable up to to at least 800Hz) but it totally failed to read any AC voltage and it kept auto switching to DC and then only gave erratic very low readings.
Old 17th Apr 2020, 12:02 pm   #12
garry71
Tetrode

I wonder if attaching larger value capacitors to the oscillator would bring the frequency down enough for a meter to take a reading of sorts.

Might give it a try as an experiment.
Old 17th Apr 2020, 4:40 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Garry,

The erase head is very unlikely to be faulty, you could measure its resistance using a DMM to check that it is not open circuit. If it is not open circuit then it should function if receiving good bias/erase signal.

Note - that checking resistance of heads could somewhat magnetise them if an analogue test meter is used and could affect playback sound, then requiring head de-magnetisation.

With respect I think you would be wasting your time adding capacitors, even if you got a reading you would have no idea if the frequency/voltage/waveform shape is good/bad.

You really need to check it with a scope or a very good DMM that can read AC voltage at high frequency.

David
Old 17th Apr 2020, 4:43 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Timtape had a good input at Post 9.
Old 17th Apr 2020, 5:05 pm   #15
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentoad View Post
Will a decent professional DMM ( AC multimeter) show the correct (ballpark) AC test voltage or do you need to use an oscilloscope to do this?
The simple answer is yes if you use something like a Fluke 85 or similar, they will resolve down to 20mV and read frequencies of 120KHz with enough accuracy (although they are only specified to 100KHz). However as others have said my first choice would be to use an Oscilloscope.
Old 18th Apr 2020, 2:36 am   #16
TIMTAPE
Octode

Pentoad it seems you have now posted three threads on the same A77 machine with possibly the same related issues. Why do you want to test the erase voltage? Is it because the tapes are not fully erasing and you have concluded it is due to low erase current? Is it possible the erase head is - like the other head was - dirty?

Or is another possible contributor a faulty tape dirtying up the tape path? Is it possible you are using a tape too "high energy" for the machines? If so the machine will not be able to fully erase it.

Again the A77 tape path is very hard to see. There is no substitute for making the effort to view it as clearly as possible using a proper inspection mirror and if needed, extra light and magnification. Unfortunately the only way to properly view and clean the A77 tape path is to remove the lower front panel completely.
Closed Thread