UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2020, 3:38 pm   #1
Robinov
Triode

Default Older microwave time setting (Rosieres)

I have an older oven and microwave built into a kitchen unit which work admirably even though they are "Obsolete" according to the manufacturer. They will be a pain to replace because of the complex joinery and the only problems are relatively minor (in my humble opinion)

The microwave clock is a pain to reset. (As I found out this morning) I have done it in the past but cannot for the life of me remember how. My main difficulty is ascertaining which pictogram is the timer and which is the clock.
I have attached a picture of the panel and model number. The make is ROSIERES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MICROWAVE PANEL.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	201771  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 4:05 pm   #2

Default Re: Older microwave

I had a microwave that wouldn't work without setting the clock, needless to say it was always one minute fast from the time I turned it on. I have given up on "smart" devices, they seem to take more thinking about than the time they save. Current microwave has two knobs and a "ding" when done.

Old 29th Mar 2020, 4:30 pm   #3
ionburn
Heptode

I hate clocks with many things. For instance, with a cooker a clock is only really relative to the point in time when cooking is set. What more is really needed than relative time from the point of setting? After last night it is the question as to whether I reset the car clock or not.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 6:43 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Older microwave

Hi,
Not familiar with that model, but I know our Panasonic, which is well over 20 years old, is always a pita to set. We often have 'brown outs' here where the power goes off for a second or so, so it needs setting again! Luckily, it still works without the clock being set, so we don't bother any more.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 6:46 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Rosieres appears to be a French brand - perhaps Googling "Rosieres micro-ondes" and your particular machine's model-number may turn up a manual?

Even if it's in French and your French is omly of the schoolboy-conversational variety rather than technical/professional, there's always Google Translate.

Personally, I like clocks-in-things; they free me from the need to wear a wristwatch!
Old 29th Mar 2020, 6:57 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I've just had my old built-in microwave/combi oven die.

It started tripping the main earth fault breaker for the house. On the bench with 250v and 500v insulation testers all seemed fine. But it would still trip the house supply immediately it was plugged in. I had no luck in finding the fault, but I did discover a broken wire out of the winding of a cooling fan motor. The VFD was also getting terribly dim, and I needed to shield it from light while pushing buttons.

The kitchen furniture is made from solid hardwood and I don't intend doing all that again.It's been a major battle finding a comparable unit which would fit the aperture (and I still needed to carve things a bit to the rear) the worst bit was finding an AEG dealer actually allowed to order that model! Anyway, I finished fitting it on Tuesday. THe new one has a touchscreen and allows wider menu selections per action than you get with the usual pressing sequences on buttons.

Slowly getting used to it. This one can do microwave + grill + conventional heat all at once if wanted. There has definitely been more thought gone into the ergonomics than most I've seen.

Just got it in time for the great lockdown.

David
Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:15 pm   #7
Robinov
Triode

Yes it is a French model. ( as you see I am in France) Absolutely no luck with googling it. Rosieres themselves simply said it was obsolete and refused to offer any suggestions. It is a model without a turntable and the magnatron goes round. It also has a temperature probe which I havent attempted to use yet. As a microwave it is very good its just the irritation of the clock that I wanted to sort out. Especially sorting out which pictogram is the clock and which is the timer ( see photo in original post) That at least would prevent me barking up the wrong tree.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:37 pm   #8
Robinov
Triode

Which does what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MICROWAVE PANEL modified.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	201796  
Old 29th Mar 2020, 8:52 pm   #9
ColinB
Heptode

If I had to guess (which I suppose I am!) I'd say the bottom one looks more like a clock, and the one above looks more like a stopwatch/timer.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 9:26 pm   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

That would be the way my logic would work, too- the top one suggesting a traditional run-back egg-timer etc.

I find solving other people's clock-on-appliance queries comes up at the clock change and can be a mildly entertaining challenge, usually pretty simple, there only seem to be a few variations. A bit like playing around with someone else's car radio! (Though both are out of the question under current circumstances....). Does holding the button in question down for a few seconds result in a bleep and/or a flashing display, expecting the time to be keyed in, or maybe you have to keep it pressed while keying in a time? Whatever permutations you try, it's most unlikely to blow it up (contrary to sci-fi/comedy programmes).

If I were trying it, I'd also put a glass of water inside, just in case I provoked it into powering-up while I was jabbing around, leaving the door open might do, but might also inhibit some functions.

Good luck.
Old 29th Mar 2020, 9:48 pm   #11
turretslug
Dekatron

Acting on a hunch, and realising that my venerable but trusty 1988 Matsui microwave also has a simple 4-digit VFD and pretty much the same function buttons (albeit arranged in a different order), I put my money where my mouth is and tried resetting its clock. The sequence is;

Press 'clock' button > Enter 4-digit time > Press 'clock' again to start (Presumably so it can be synchronised to a time signal).

Maybe Rosieres and Matsui have similar control ICs? A lot of badge-engineering goes on.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 12:09 am   #12
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Older microwave time setting

On those (sometimes hard to decipher) pictograms, the clock is the one with two hands, which in this case is the bottom of the top group of four and the next one up with the single hand is the timer.

It should be as in turretslug's post to set the clock, having now identified the correct button.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 12:08 pm   #13
Robinov
Triode

Unfortunately been there and tried those various combinations but to no avail. Absolutely stumped by it.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 1:46 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

Might be worth asking in an old style domestic appliance / TV shop if there are any still around in your neck of the woods......

Is there any French equivalent of the very useful UK White Goods forum? Even there you might get lucky!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Mar 2020, 2:49 pm   #15
Robinov
Triode

SUCCESS at last. It WAS the bottom button and the secret was to press it twice VERY quickly. Found it by accident so was lucky. But thankyou for those guys who helped re which clock did what. Much appreciated now I dont have the irritation of a microwave and oven showing different times. Again many thanks. My next post soon will be asking for advice on replacing the door seal on the oven !!!!!!!!
Old 30th Mar 2020, 4:02 pm   #16
vidjoman
Dekatron

Write yourself a note and stick it on the Microwave to remind you how to do it when the clocks next change.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 4:08 pm   #17
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Write yourself a note and stick it on the Microwave to remind you how to do it when the clocks next change.
I go one better - setting a recurring appointment in Outlook for the day before the next clock-change, containing the sequence needed to do +/- 1 hour on all the non-smart clocks in the house.

Let the machines do the remembering for us.
Old 30th Mar 2020, 4:24 pm   #18
ColinB
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinov View Post
SUCCESS at last. It WAS the bottom button and the secret was to press it twice VERY quickly. Found it by accident so was lucky. But thankyou for those guys who helped re which clock did what. Much appreciated now I dont have the irritation of a microwave and oven showing different times. Again many thanks. My next post soon will be asking for advice on replacing the door seal on the oven !!!!!!!!
Excellent work, I love it when an idea pans out
Old 1st Apr 2020, 9:11 am   #19
bluepilot
Heptode

For future reference, it's described here on page 12 (see "pendule")
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rosieres.pdf (844.5 KB, 59 views)

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 1st Apr 2020, 5:46 pm   #20
Richard - F4VPR
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Maybe not, word on the bazaars is that France is now staying with summertime for the foreseeable future.

R.
Closed Thread