UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2008, 10:29 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Vintage radio workshop layouts

I have outgrown my current 8' x 6' shed, and have decided to invest in a larger timber building. 10' x 10' is the biggest I can accommodate in the garden, and I'm trying to plan the most effective internal layout to give me space for:

1. Large multiple-use workbench under the front window
2. Test bench with test gear and component storage on left side wall
3. Floor to ceiling shelving for displaying restored radios along the back wall
4. A modest ham radio shack in a bureau along the right side wall
5. Mobile workbench for cabinet repairs in the middle of the floor

It'll be a squeeze, but I reckon everything will fit... however, if any Forum members have created a good workshop in a similar space, I'd love to hear about what works for you and any recommendations.

Thanks!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 30th Apr 2008, 8:33 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage radio workshop layouts

You're doomed!

10x10? not even close to big enough!

What you really need is to do away with the garden completely! - this has several advantages -

No need for space eating gardening equipment

No need to keep SWMBO happy by mowing the grass

No chance of being blamed for muddy footprints on the sprint back to the house

Less distance for supplies of tea and biscuits to be diluted by rain.....

There's a method in my madness!

Good Luck
Sean
Old 30th Apr 2008, 8:46 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Not much help or encouragement I'm afraid but if you had an aircraft hanger you would fill it within three weeks. I agree with Sean, your doomed! The best of luck with it anyway and I can only suggest that you construct the bench and then give it a 'try' before you put anything fixed in place. Ideas tend to change once you start actually using it. Regards, John.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:03 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I think you might get it all in that space, apart from No 3,
"Floor to ceiling shelving for displaying restored radios along the back wall"
You will need the whole house for that...... .

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd May 2008, 8:21 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hee hee! I agree with the sentiments... Regretfully, space precludes a big collection of radios, unless I can persuade my wife to have a vintage radio in every room - my ultimate goal - but I am well on the way to 1,500 valves in the spares box

I really must be ruthless, and decide to keep just one of everything; my six 'scopes and five signal generators are just going to eat up available space.

Thanks for the tips. I now know that I am doomed to fail, but it's nice to get other opinions!

Old 7th May 2008, 2:30 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

You might consider a RF screened area.Most houses these days contain heaps of RF inerference. ie Computers, Games consols etc. Anything that contains rapid switching or square waves will produce interference over infinite bandwidths. Car electronic ignition is another source. If you're setting up local oscillator or IF frequencies, or just trying to listen to faint AM transmissions on HF bands, interference can be a serious nusiance. Ideally a fine brass or copper mesh would be needed, but unless you can get some from a friendly scrap dealer, it would be very expensive. A friend advised me that Foil-backed plasterboard, errected with the aluminium foil facing inward, & each sheet bonded to the other works quite well. This wee little "room within a room" could double up as a dust free enviroment for when working on delicate equipment. Garden type sheds arn't very dust-proof, unless they are lined inside with decent T&G boarding or plywood.

Regards, David
Old 7th May 2008, 4:31 pm   #7
dominicbeesley
Octode

Luxury!!!!

My work area is a 5'x5' coal hole with a bench and shelves in it! This has the added advantage that which ever direction I turn I can usually knock about six different things over!

The rest of the cellar being taken up with my "collection" (junk mainly!). Though tonight, for the very first time since moving in last year I'm going to sweep up! Maybe....

Dom
Old 7th May 2008, 9:02 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

David, good idea about screening although I don't spend much time listening to weak DX these days. However, dustproofing and damp-proofing is important, and the cabin I am thinking of getting has pre-insulated walls with an inner skin timber thickness of 35mm, strong enough to directly support shelves etc.

Dom, I imagine it can be quite cosy in your coal hole, but 5x5 is taking 'compact' a bit too far...

I have now put up a cheap temporary shed in which to store the contents of my existing workshop while I dismantle it and build the new one!

Closed Thread