UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:59 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Extruded sectional cases.

A few decades back I used equipment-cases that were made from ribbed aluminium extrusions that slotted together end-to-end - we always called them "Hide cases". They were ribbed on the outside and had internal guides to take standard-sized PCBs/veroboard etc.

They were great because the aluminium was thick enough to let you taper-mill a screwhole from the outside and still have enough thickness to reliably mount a TO220-style transistor or one of the ubiquitous 7805/7812/7815/7824 voltage-regulator so using the case as the heatsink to dissipate a few Watts.

There seem to be various obscure design-clones available from Alibaba etc, but are any of them any good?
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:46 am   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Extruded sectional cases.

Over the years, for nearly all my projects I use Extruded aluminium Takachi cases. They are 3mm thick extrusions , but the genius of them is the extrusion is from side to side and the are folded around the width, so the extrusion slots retain the front and rear panels. You can also buy chassis inserts etc for them. They come in a lovely dark green -grey color anodized they call bronze, or a white/cream coated version:

These are the UC series enclosures:

http://www.takachi-enclosure.com/data/c16-17/UC.pdf

Also they do the heatsink style enclosures like these, effectively extrusions with end caps and many more types, visit their website:

http://www.takachi-enclosure.com/data/c16-17/HEN.pdf

You can get them directly from factory sales and they send them via Japan Post and their enclosures are great value.

I've attached a couple of photos of things in Takachi cases, one radio transmitter (with the top off) and a dual disk drive unit I recently made. Another is a surgical instrument I made, built into their enclosure.

Takachi make the best quality instrument cases on the planet currently (in my opinion). They also have numerous accessories, feet handles and very many case types.They also will machine panels and make custom cases. They have the excellent finish and precision and attention to detail that is typical of quality Japanese Engineering & culture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drive3b.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	178535   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB130053.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	178536   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMP.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	178537  

Last edited by Argus25; 17th Feb 2019 at 12:54 am. Reason: typo
Old 17th Feb 2019, 8:54 pm   #3
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
A few decades back I used equipment-cases that were made from ribbed aluminium extrusions that slotted together end-to-end - we always called them "Hide cases". They were ribbed on the outside and had internal guides to take standard-sized PCBs/veroboard etc.
Were they Hyde? West Hyde Enclosures Ltd.
Taken over by Hammond about 12 years ago.
Some here:-http://www.hammondmfg.com/sinkbox.htm
Haven't checked if sold in UK.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 9:37 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Another vote for Takachi. Everything I build goes in one of their boxes. Also to note, RS sell them.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:02 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Were they Hyde? West Hyde Enclosures Ltd.
Taken over by Hammond about 12 years ago.
Some here:-http://www.hammondmfg.com/sinkbox.htm
Haven't checked if sold in UK.
Brilliant!! That's the ones! ! I know that there are a couple of Hammond disties in the UK (including RS) but not sure if they carry the full Hammond range. Time for some investigations I think...
Closed Thread