UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 3:07 pm   #21
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: 1970 UFO TV prog

We have this on DVD and it's great to see them again after enjoying them when I was a teen. They are generally quite good, but some of the stories are weak and a few of the later episodes veer into utter surrealist nonsense.
But I'm a great Gerry Anderson fan and I won't have a word said against him!
Re the super-modern car - the gull-wing doors didn't work and had to be opened and closed by a bloke just out of shot. In one scene you can see his reflection in a window.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 3:18 pm   #22
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
I managed to find this on you tube a year or so ago...
yes it did bring back memories. ( but I did watch it originally in black and white not colour ).
Other television series from the early 1970's I have found have been Time Slip ( I think ? ) and Catweazle.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 3:21 pm   #23
electronicskip
Nonode

I was given the DVD Boxset of Fireball XL5 at Christmas which I remember watching as a child on TV , the Series was in black and white except for one episode which was colourised many years later.
Another Anderson Classic.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 3:49 pm   #24
camtechman
Nonode

Here's my Space 1999 Communicator !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MARX MORSE CODE - WALKIE TALKIE #1 .jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	178439  
Old 15th Feb 2019, 4:42 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Sorry, I didn't like UFO much. It was certainly otherworldly and had a detached mannerism but [like Star Trek] I thought that was the acting I was probably spoilt by having seeing 2001 A Space Odyssey at the Manchester Premiere in 1968 and on TV, the original Outer Limits + A For Andromeda [Julie Christie-what an Alien creation] mostly wiped by the Beeb. The Press said that the Japanese were crazy about Star Trek but then they are a nation of cartoon lovers.

Gabrielle Drake [p14*] shone in Crossroads-also a bit "out of this world". She appeared nude in the Premiere of "La Ronde" by Schintzler at the Royal Exchange Theatre in the early 80's [although that's not so evident with a web search]. This is a turn of the century play about sexual mores and class. Very controversial in 1900 [and when I saw it] but less erotic at a Saturday Afternoon Matinee perhaps? I'm not sure whether you UFO fans would have coped though .

Dave W
Old 15th Feb 2019, 5:56 pm   #26
Grubhead
Heptode

It's now being repeated on Forces TV on freeview!
Old 15th Feb 2019, 6:00 pm   #27
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
I managed to find this on you tube a year or so ago...
yes it did bring back memories. ( but I did watch it originally in black and white not colour ).
Other television series from the early 1970's I have found have been Time Slip ( I think ? ) and Catweazle.
Time Slip is correct, the entire series is on DVD. Sadly though they were all made in Colour only one episode is still in colour.
On the DVD collection is an update showing how the cast looks all grown up. The place it was done is now a housing estate!
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:08 pm   #28
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
The electronic sound effects, themes and incidental music for all of Gerry's work until Space:1999 season two was by Barry Gray. I grew up with Gerry Anderson and still find myself listening to Gray's wonderful work.
The 1962 series "Space Patrol" is often mistakenly attributed to Gerry Anderson, but it was produced by Anderson's former collaborator Roberta Leigh.

It was probably the first serial to have an entirely electronic musical score. I wonder how many fans of the programme, when they were later thumbing though their copies of "Radio Communication", had not reallised that the composer/performer was non other than F. C. Judd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Judd
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:12 pm   #29
retroteck
Tetrode

Have been a lifelong Gerry Anderson nut, especially the 60's Supermarionation series, also a deep fan of Barry Gray, (lucky to met him
once at a convention in Leeds, he bought me a drink). He offered to copy some of his music for me on tape, long before the soundtrack albums became available from Fanderson, but unfortunately died in 1984 before he got a chance.

Every time I make a circuit to process video in some way I always test it out with a Supermarionation episode, (how sad is that).

Rod
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:44 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I was in the audience at a talk G.A. gave locally, It was very entertaining especially when he played the scene from "Torchy the Battery Boy", where Mr Bumbledrop utters the immortal words, "I'll make a toy-boy".

After the show it occurred to me he didn't mention Barry Gray's contribution to his work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroteck View Post
Every time I make a circuit to process video in some way I always test it
out with a Supermarionation episode, (how sad is that).
At the time of the show he had just had the Stingray and Thunderbirds footage remastered using Wet-Gate, the technique was more suitable for the former than the latter in my opinion

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 15th Feb 2019 at 8:57 pm.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:12 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

My neighbour across the road here in Bexhill converted my roof space to a work room. His surname is Anderson and [inevitably] he was then known as "Gerry" at school. I did like Super Car though. "Now Who's A Fool" Dr Beaker? and Mitch The Monkey. Or is that someone else's work?

Dave
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:25 pm   #32
G4YVM David
Heptode

When I started flying I had the privilege of working on lockheed tristars and they were the closest thing to T2 I've ever known. Sadly no mach 6 for us, just a humble 0.90
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:43 pm   #33
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Supercar was my Edinburgh Grandpa's Ford Anglia!
When I heard the Weasley family had acquired one I had to see the film.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:50 pm   #34
Richard_FM
Octode

Star Fleet is another show mistaken for a Gerry Anderson production.

It was made in Japan & was created by Go Nagai who created many classic anime series.

Part of the confusion was due to the English dub having 1 or 2 people who had supplied voices for Anderson's shows.

There was an idea to try & buy some of the models & props from the Japanese production company to make a squeal series, but sadly most had been lost in a warehouse fire.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:49 am   #35
dave walsh
Dekatron

Post 28. I'm currently thumbing through my copies of Rad Com to find a TX circuit for a friend Graham! I didn't know that FCJ was ever in there!

Dave
Old 16th Feb 2019, 1:03 pm   #36
Vectamart
Pentode

I have the boxed DVD sets fo all Gerry Anderson series from Supercar through to UFO. The latter was the first series to feature live actors; however, I must confess that I much prefer Thunderbirds.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 5:19 pm   #37
G4YVM David
Heptode

This is good...http://ufoseries.com/3d/index.html

If this link works it leads to a collection of viewmaster 3d slides. By careful viewing I can see them in 3d without the aid of my viewmaster (I don't have the images in suitable format of course). Always loved viewmaster amd this is almost as good AND it's UFO.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 7:56 pm   #38
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As well as UFO, I have a bit of a weakness for 1969's "Doppelganger" which was the first live-action production by the Andersons' "Century-21 productions"

Trailer here: https://youtu.be/tAEBZjVRbAc
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:07 pm   #39
Radio Wrangler

I saw Doppelganger when it came out.

I think the Gerry Anderson TV programmes began:

Twizzle
Four Feather Falls
Supercar
Fireball XL5
Thunderbirds
Stingray
Captain Scarlet
UFO

and there was Joe 90 somewhere in there. I'd outgrown things towards the end.

David
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:08 am   #40
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

There was a thing called The Secret Service, with the main character voiced by Stanley Unwin, I think - and later, Space 1999, which was live action.
Closed Thread