UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2019, 11:53 pm   #1
Linestony
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferranti RP1042 question

Hi guys,
I’m currently interested in buying a vintage record player for my home. I’ve found one on and would just like to get your thoughts on it.
I know absolutely nothing at all about record players full stop so Please excuse my ignorance!
The item I’m looking at is a Ferranti RP1042 with a Garrard 209 deck on dansette legs and it and is up for £340.
Now, one is this an accurate price for this item and two, is this record player a good quality item?
It has a valve amplifier with dual speakers which I really like the sound of as I love the warm tone of a valve amp!
Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatfully appreciated!
Cheers guys!
Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:37 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti RP1042 question

It's not so much that it has "dual speakers", but the Ferrant RP1042 is a stereophonic record player wherein the speaker in the lid has to be separated away from the the main unit to get a stereo sound-stage.
Is it stereo that you really want or just a really good quality mono valve record player?
If the latter, you can get much better for less than £340.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:06 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

I’ve not seen one of these but after taking a look at circuit the amplifier is a decent one. Not sure about the type of cartridge fitted, other members of this forum when they read this, will be able to advise you better than I.
Before you buy ensure it is fully operational.
Cheers
John
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:27 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Please beware. Reading between the lines this record player has not been serviced. That means that certain components like capacitors will almost certainly not have been replaced. The record deck should also be stripped, cleaned and re-lubricated.

If you are unsure, ask the seller what guarantee he/she is wiling to give.

If you like, you can contact me and I can sell you a fully refurbished and guaranteed record player.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:41 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Model year is 1961/62 if that's of interest.

Alan
Old 12th Feb 2019, 7:45 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

For that sort of money I'd prefer something like a decent up to the mark Pye Achoic!

IF it has genuinely been properly serviced (as per Maurice's post) it's not a totally outrageous asking price in the present climate given the likely time cost of the service and a degree of profit for the seller, though it's not a Dansette, whatever its legs may look like.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:23 pm   #7
Linestony
Retired Dormant Member

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, I totally forgot that I’d posted! thanks for all your comments and advice. I have attached (I think!) some pics.
It seems like a very nice example, I just have no idea as to whether it is any good or not. I’m open to any suggestions for alternatives if you have any!

Thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1608FE-26D0-481E-8361-DCD72A344D26.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	178460Click image for larger version

Name:	6FF9DB4A-BE7D-43E0-BAD7-4B840318E3FB.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	178461Click image for larger version

Name:	75CF75AB-523B-4D19-90AF-4D46E6EC16EA.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	178462
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:18 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's a very early portable Stereo player and the Ekco designed amplifier will sound good. What are your intentions - to buy this player or what? If you do not need Stereo, then you can do far better (and for less money) with a good valved Mono player like a Decca or a Hacker.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:22 pm   #9
Linestony
Retired Dormant Member

I don’t necessarily need a stereo sound but I do like the idea of the old style valve amp sound. I like the fact that this is on legs and can be a bit of a centre piece in the lounge. It just happened to be one of the first record players that I saw that looked the part. As I say, I know absolutely zero about these things so I’m really not sure what I want to be honest.

What would be your suggestion?
Old 16th Feb 2019, 11:33 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would do an online auction site search for a Hacker GP42 "Gondolier", or a Dansette "Hi Fi", or a Decca "Deram" record player. These will come in at c.£150-200.00 and are all excellent. There are plenty up there right now. You can then buy and fit some legs for it for about c.£20 if that is your wish.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 1:00 am   #11
paulsherwin

You do need to think long and hard about why you actually want a 60 year old record player though. No offence meant, but it sounds as if you are buying one on a whim because you fancy the styling. It's a real commitment to use one of these players as they need maintenance and don't suit newly released vinyl records very well. There are lots of dodgy dealers out there buying players at car boots and estate sales, giving them a quick spray with Pledge and WD40 then selling them on as 'serviced'. Just think what would be involved in using a 60 year old car as everyday transport.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 5:11 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

Thought my last post might get "lost".

Though technically it just amplified Paul's last comment......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Feb 2019, 6:47 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I would do an online auction site search for a Hacker GP42 "Gondolier", or a Dansette "Hi Fi", or a Decca "Deram" record player. These will come in at c.£150-200.00 and are all excellent. There are plenty up there right now. You can then buy and fit some legs for it for about c.£20 if that is your wish.
Not really quite sure where this thread is headed yet as the OP does not seem settled on what he wants.
If it's an old valved record player, standing on 4 legs to look retro-trendy, then he does not even need to get the calibre of record player I've already suggested above.
He can probably get an Alba, Fidelity, HMV or Ferguson for around £75-£125 that will do the job.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:48 pm   #14
Linestony
Retired Dormant Member

Paulsherwin, I think you’ve hit the nail directly on the head with a sledge hammer!
Yes I think I am being a bit quick off the mark with this and yes I think I am looking at buying one on a whim!
So time to settle back down, I’ve taken all your comments on board and now doing all the research! I hadn’t even taken Into account the level of maintenance needed for these old record players and yes, I guess I was just thinking I could go out, buy it and it’d just work! Which is obviously not the case! Well not long term anyway!
I’ll check out the alba, fidelity, hmv and Ferguson stuff and see what I can find on eBay!
Cheers guys!
Closed Thread