UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2019, 9:21 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Rescued Test Equipment

I once watched some power engineers in Scotland fixing storm damaged lines up there on the West coast in the kind of driving rain that turns your face red in about 1 second, tough crew for sure, tracked vehicles and Unimogs as I recall, I also figured out why lots of road works etc were abandoned at a certain time of the year, wasn't due to storms either, I thought the interior of Canada was bad enough, I got caught out up on Skye when the oil filter seal blew on my old Landrover….almost bitten to death fixing that one, anyways enough of that.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 8th Apr 2019 at 9:27 pm.
Old 8th Apr 2019, 10:10 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
But, its the pdf download scan of the original Every Ready I'm needing - to wrap around an RS, or Varta modern version. As you can see from my picture, the original battery's cardboard is too far "manked" to re-stuff.
Any use?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...35&postcount=5
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Apr 2019, 9:03 am   #23
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Morning David, I note your knowledge of Arabic and of course you radio knowledge as well. Good to know some people appreciating old test gear, how ingenious folk were years ago. Also are you aware, Shuft to a man Shufti to woman. Ted
Old 9th Apr 2019, 9:55 am   #24
David Simpson
Nonode

Ted, Shufti Zube, Shufti Cush, if my memories of a brief detachment to Bahrain & Shajah are correct. Nay munta & Imshi were other words learnt.
Many thanks to Herald 1360 for the link.
Lawrence - if it was the late 70's/early 80's when you witnessed poor HEB guys up on the West Coast in the rain - one of them could've been me !

Regards, David
Old 9th Apr 2019, 1:05 pm   #25
Malcolm T
Hexode

Everything is worth collecting to save it from these trendies who understand nothing about its function or value and commence to turn it into art.
Great for education and instructional workshops in technology.

Problem is how big is your warehouse !!!
Old 24th Apr 2019, 2:10 pm   #26
David Simpson
Nonode

Well folks, its been a long haul. Finished at last. I've tried out the capacity measurer out briefly with a couple of lengths of wire about 10 yards long, and one "tunes"(by moving the probe along the resistance wires) it for minimum "buzz" in the phone. However, this is a long distance measurer, and I haven't sufficient coils of wire to yomp over neighbouring fields, & walloping in temp earth rods, etc.
Fingers & wrist has been overworked, restoring the crud encrusted mahogany case. The bespoke latchable hinges were shot, so replaced with a piano hinge.
On to the next manky item - -

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacity Measurer (j).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	181778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacity Measurer (k).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	181779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacity Measurer (l).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	181780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacity Measurer (m).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	181781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacity Measurer (n).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	181782  

Old 24th Apr 2019, 2:17 pm   #27
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Looks great! What a transformation.

Craig
Old 24th Apr 2019, 5:33 pm   #28
Pamphonica
Nonode

Ah - now that IS a lovely bit of kit now. Well done maestro!

Many moons ago I bought a "wooden cased ammeter" from ebay for £7.99. It was covered in paint spray and crud but looked vaguely familiar.
I used the meths and wire wool plus oil treatment and a bit of buffing of the front panel and it came up beautifully. It even worked. And yes, it was familiar-looking.
I found out from Peter Munro, the Avo guru, that it is an "Original" Avo from about 1925!
One of only a few left...
So glad it once again looks the part. Original patina but no crud or paint.
Old 24th Apr 2019, 6:05 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

That shows what a lot of TLC can do. Very satisfying. The woodwork glows!

So now you just need some suitable period capacitors... um, condensers to measure with it.

It looks like it ought to be sitting in a glass display case.

David
Old 24th Apr 2019, 8:53 pm   #30
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Guys for the kind comments. However, compared to some of the fantastic restorations in the BVWS Bulletin & VMARS Signal Magazines over the years, my efforts are pretty mediocre.
What I would suggest, in encouraging others to have a go at cabinet or wooden case restoration, is to practice on gash bits of Oak or Mahogany, or Redwood first. Broken bits of furniture can be scrounged from dumps & skip sites. Save bits of old smooth shirts/blouses etc. Practice different methods of dirt, stain & manky varnish removal - mild soapy water, White Spirit, Turps, Meths, & so on. Try different grades of sandpaper & wire wool. Just buy wee tinnies/bottles of woodstain, scratch cover & polish to start with.
Its taken me years to be half proficient. Ask advice off old joiners & carpenters. One old boy showed me how to make beeswax(in the tobacco tin, bottom centre).

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloots & Polish.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	181795  
Closed Thread