UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2023, 8:22 am   #21
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Grundig satellit 2100 silent bands

These capacitors can be tricky to remove, so take your time. However, there is a good chance you will be able to resolve the short. Good luck!
Old 20th May 2023, 9:47 am   #22
iceman303
Triode

I carefully removed the capacitor and cleaned it. After a bit of cleaning, I tested it with the multimeter and it measured open circuit. I checked it a few more times, to test, and it kept measuring open circuit. I also checked it with my capacitance meter, and it measured more or less 5pf to 340pf max. I installed it back in the radio. I turned the radio on, and all bands are now ok, with good reception. there is only a small problem on long wave, there are some pops and crackles across the band ( independent of frequency ) with internal and also external antenna. You can hear it a bit in the background when tuned into a station. I will try to trace that problem later. Any ideias / advice about this issue are welcome. Thanks everyone for the all the valuable help.
Old 20th May 2023, 10:06 am   #23
agardiner
Octode

Excellent. Glad you have fixed it.

As for the noise, it may still be a spec of dust or something like that on the tuning capacitor. LW tends to be far more sensitive to such things due to the overall noise floor. The first thing I would do is wait for 24 hours to allow any cleaning fluid you used to fully evaporate. If the problem is then still the same, try a squirt of compressed air if you have a can available.
Old 24th May 2023, 9:33 pm   #24
iceman303
Triode

Hello Adrian. I waited for a day or so, but the noise is still there. Later, I will try to carfully clean the capacitor some more, hopefully solving the problem. I will post later with the results. Thanks again everyone for the all the help.
John
Old 25th May 2023, 5:19 pm   #25
frsimen
Heptode

Try checking LW with another radio, the noise may be from an external source rather than something wrong in your Grundig.

Paula
Old 26th May 2023, 10:37 pm   #26
iceman303
Triode

Hello Paula. Thanks for the advice. I did that, and the other radio does not have this noise present. After I clean the capacitor, I will post results.
Old 29th Sep 2023, 5:02 pm   #27
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=204352

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread