UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2023, 12:34 pm   #21
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: Using a ceramic cartridge with a modern amplifier.

Trying to keep it simple ( for my benefit). So the more you bend the ceramic element the higher the output, is that correct?
John
Old 11th May 2023, 4:50 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

The instantaneous voltage created is proportional to the amount the ceramic or crystal is bent at that instant, assuming you have a very high impedance measuring instrument.

Bend it half as far, get half the voltage. Bend it the other way and get reversed polarity voltages.

Make a long solenoid coil and move a magnet on a stick into it. Hold the magnet still - no voltage, true wherever the magnet is positioned when you hold it still. Move the magnet in and you get voltage. Move the magnet in twice as fast and you get twice the voltage. Move the magnet out and you get reverse polarity voltage.

So piezo senses position, magnetic senses speed.

For a single frequency signal, there is only one possible waveform, a sinewave. All other waveshapes have various patterns of harmonics. Only a pure sinewave has zero harmonics. So if there is only one frequency present, then you have a sinewave.

If you have a sinewave on the groove, you can calculate the voltage a ceramic cartridge will give just from the amplitude of wiggle on the groove and the coefficient of the cartridge (Volts per millimetre or equivalent)

If you have a sinewave on the groove, you need to know the frequency as well as the amplitude of wiggle in order to use the coefficent of a magnetic cartridge to give you the amplitude of its output voltage.

David
Old 11th May 2023, 5:48 pm   #23
John10b
Nonode

David, thank you for your patience in taking the time to give a detailed reply.
John
Old 24th May 2023, 11:12 pm   #24
Michael Maurice

All sorted: I ended up fitting a Chinese flip under cartridge and together with the circuits mentioned earlier in the thread, gave fantastic sound.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th May 2023, 7:44 am   #25
wd40addict
Octode

Be aware that the stylus supplied with the flip under is not a true microgroove/78 type, but a BSR ST16/17 will fit and give the correct tips.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=3
Old 25th May 2023, 12:10 pm   #26
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Be aware that the stylus supplied with the flip under is not a true microgroove/78 type, but a BSR ST16/17 will fit and give the correct tips.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=3
Thanks for the tip.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th May 2023, 12:57 pm   #27
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No pun intended?!
Old 25th May 2023, 1:23 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

I think this is the cartridge where the 'green' coded 78 stylus tip is on the opposite side to normal. I bought one of these cartridges several years ago to try out, but haven't so far done so - still using my stock of BSR X5Ms and the Chinese single red stylus in the black cartridge models. Do we actually know what the 'marked' 78 tip actually is, is it just another LP stylus or something in between? I seem to recollect that it looks slightly physically different.
Old 25th May 2023, 3:07 pm   #29
wd40addict
Octode

Second LP stylus made out of different material see microscope pictures above
Old 25th May 2023, 4:37 pm   #30
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I think this is the cartridge where the 'green' coded 78 stylus tip is on the opposite side to normal. I bought one of these cartridges several years ago to try out, but haven't so far done so - still using my stock of BSR X5Ms and the Chinese single red stylus in the black cartridge models. Do we actually know what the 'marked' 78 tip actually is, is it just another LP stylus or something in between? I seem to recollect that it looks slightly physically different.
I checked one with a microscope a year or so ago and both tips appeared to be identical and of stereo microgroove radius. Surprisingly, they will play post-1950 78s pretty well, depending of course on the profile of the cutting stylus. With a bit of luck, the small stylus might even track lower than the groove wear.

Martin