UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2023, 10:52 pm   #1
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Panasonic NV-HS950 - how much trouble will it be?

I own precisely one video cassette recorder, this Panasonic NV-HS950 which was given to me in immaculate condition about 15 years ago. I rarely use it but like to have the ability to play VHS tapes when occasion demands.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to use it but find it won't accept a tape, and behaves as if something's slipping inside. I haven't yet investigated what the fault is.

This machine has all the bells and whistles, is in immaculate condition, and has performed very well in the past. My question is: how much of a nightmare is it likely to be to get working reliably again? Anyone here know if these machines suffer brittle plastics or surface-mount electrolytic plague? I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for...

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230511_230442.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	278102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230511_230450.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	278103  
Old 11th May 2023, 11:07 pm   #2
Amtec123
Pentode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-HS950 - how much trouble will it be?

I would say it is most likely the small plastic coupler on the mechanism loading motor shaft. it's a push fit onto the shaft, and over time the plastic splits causing reduced or total loss of drive. I have replaced dozens of them in the past, they can be a little tricky as access is from underneath the transport. Because it was such a common fault I suspect there will still be some lurking in a spares drawer somewhere.
Old 11th May 2023, 11:23 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

Yes, the the K-mech was covered in the November 1993 edition of Television magazine, which can be downloaded from here. Naturally, YouTube also has some videos..of videos!
Old 12th May 2023, 8:50 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or is it the Z-mech? The loading motor coupler is a white, Nylon(?) part which is a friction fit on the loading motor's spindle.

It has been suggested that any replacement should have its bore enlarged slightly, then attached with Superglue, to prevent an early recurrence.

Good luck in finding one though; when I repaired mine 5-10 years ago, they were extremely hard to source.

Possibly... https://www.donberg.co.uk/catalogue/.../vdp_1434.html
Old 12th May 2023, 9:53 am   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'm sure there's an enterprising person with a 3-D printer...
Old 12th May 2023, 10:41 am   #6
Amtec123
Pentode

Chris,
As has been mentioned elseware on the forum be aware Donberg have a minimum order value of 50 Euro's.
If you intend to repair your Pana, and it turns out to be the coupler let me know and I will check if I still have one.

Les
Old 19th May 2023, 9:10 am   #7
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Or is it the Z-mech? The loading motor coupler is a white, Nylon(?) part which is a friction fit on the loading motor's spindle.

It has been suggested that any replacement should have its bore enlarged slightly, then attached with Superglue, to prevent an early recurrence.

Good luck in finding one though; when I repaired mine 5-10 years ago, they were extremely hard to source.

Possibly... https://www.donberg.co.uk/catalogue/.../vdp_1434.html
It's a K mech.

One trick I've found that works is to roughen the motor spindle with a file or course emery paper then use araldite to glue the pulley onto the motor shaft.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th May 2023, 11:27 am   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
It's a K mech.

One trick I've found that works is to roughen the motor spindle with a file or course emery paper then use araldite to glue the pulley onto the motor shaft.
That's good to hear. I thought it was a K deck. Trying to refit the cracked pulley with some adhesive also struck me as an idea worth trying, so I'm glad to hear that it can work. I'll see how bad mine is when the machine gets to the top of my round tuit pile!

Chris