UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2023, 4:51 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK30/35 remote control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I must admit though that I have never really fully understood the Backspacing operation on a dictation machine.

David
If you've ever had to transcribe a recording, you'll soon appreciate how useful it is to be able to quickly skip back and replay the last sentence! Same goes for language studies.
When I eventually find some time to have a look at my Stenorette SLs and Ls, hopefully I will discover the joy of Backspacing.

David
Old 1st May 2023, 5:30 pm   #22
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Yes you are correct, I was thinking that the 5 pin 240 degrees DIN pin numbering were non sequential like 5 pin 180 degree DINs.

David
No, that was only because of stereo... then remote pause!

But if you start with mono, it is sequential; 1-2-3.

Add in stereo: we'll insert 4 and 5 in between. 1-4-2-5-3. So the additional pins still number clockwise. (QUAD ignored this for a while)

Now someone wants remote control (like Grundig did) so we'll put those below the audio pins; 6-1-4-2-5-3-7.

You can tell I wired a lot of DIN plugs up as a kid!

The less said about pin 8 and its physical position the better....
Old 1st May 2023, 5:40 pm   #23
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
If you've ever had to transcribe a recording, you'll soon appreciate how useful it is to be able to quickly skip back and replay the last sentence! Same goes for language studies. That is why the likes of Tandberg, whose educational equipment department was arguably the strongest part of the company by the late 70s, had such features.
Growing up in the 70s, Tandberg were utterly dominant in secondary schools - probably also because the machines were largely teacher and student proof. I did however clean all the heads on the machines in my school's language department because none of the teachers knew how to do it and the difference it made was astonishing... I have two Tandbergs (a 12 and a 15) and the manuals cover the 'SL' (speech laboratory) versions. I think there is a version that does backspacing too?

When I was at primary school it was a different matter: then Clarke and Smith dominated but tape recorders were lovely Truvox R102s - 3 motor, 3 head, 3 speed machines. I have one
Old 2nd May 2023, 1:01 pm   #24
ricard
Octode

Interesting to hear that Tandberg was dominant in schools also outside Scandinavia. They were certainly dominant in Sweden where I grew up, but part of that explanation could be that Norway is a neighboring country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
I have two Tandbergs (a 12 and a 15) and the manuals cover the 'SL' (speech laboratory) versions. I think there is a version that does backspacing too?
Any Tandberg machine with an 'F' suffix has pause and backspacing remote capabilities. The SL version of the 15 was intended as a student machine in a language laboratory, so that the student could record his/her voice on one track and have a teacher or lessen on the other track (which the student couldn't erase). Remote control might have been useful, but I think would have deemed to complex for students, so the SL version is not remote controlled.

At least on the older Tandbergs, if you pressed the backspacing pedal while recording, the machine would rewind while in record mode, erasing what you'd just recorded. I don't know if they built some form of backspace record inhibit function into the later machines.
Old 2nd May 2023, 2:45 pm   #25
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
The SL version of the 15 was intended as a student machine in a language laboratory, so that the student could record his/her voice on one track and have a teacher or lessen on the other track (which the student couldn't erase). Remote control might have been useful, but I think would have deemed to complex for students, so the SL version is not remote controlled.

At least on the older Tandbergs, if you pressed the backspacing pedal while recording, the machine would rewind while in record mode, erasing what you'd just recorded. I don't know if they built some form of backspace record inhibit function into the later machines.
I have seen a photo online of the series 15 SL-F version! Attached pic of rear showing the designation and the footswitch socket. Am keeping my eyes one for one 'in the wild' but no luck so far!

There was I think a modification bulletin for the erasure-backspace problem.

The series 15 SL was actually a standalone student recorder not (initially) meant for use with a teacher console. The track selector would enable you to record on either upper or lower track, then by setting it to 'student' you would enable playback of the master and simultaneous recording on student track via the mic. I expect most of these were used with pre-recorded copies of lesson tapes.

The 10-21 was the one meant for language lab booths in conjunction with a console. It had solenoid pause (a backspace/footswitch version may have been available, will check the service manual) and unlike the 15SL, recording on the lower track was only enabled from the console by supplying power to the oscillator.

Well, apologies for drifting off topic, if there's any more interest in Tandberg LL kit we might be best off starting a separate thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tandberg series 15 sl_f rear.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	277628  

Last edited by ben; 2nd May 2023 at 2:54 pm.
Old 9th May 2023, 8:49 am   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Looking at the Stenorette SL schematic the Remote connector is a 4 pin 240 degrees Tuchel (assume Tuchel by the pin mumbering) as opposed to the 5 pin Tuchel on the previously referenced Grundig TKs.

David
I now see that 4 pin DIN conectors are actually 216 degrees not 240 as I previously thought.

Also see that the 4 pin DINs pin numbering is sequential, so my assumption that the SL remote connector was a Tuchel was incorrect.

David
Closed Thread