UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2019, 12:45 pm   #1
Fairlie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Saba TK230S 4-track tape recorder.

The replay heads on this are open circuit or very high resistance. I would like to get it working to replay some old tapes of sentimental interest. Has anyone any suggestions for repair/replacement?
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:34 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Saba TK230S 4-track tape recorder.

Heads are unlikely to be either cheap or easy to come by. I have one of these machines awaiting a new belt which is a thick flat type I so far have not tracked down.

Probably easier to just get another, working machine. You want 4 track with at least 3.75 and 7.5 ips speeds. Something like a Tandberg 15-41 would be ideal.

Alternatively, if you only want to transfer a handful of tapes it might be worth getting someone else to do this for you. There may be a forum member nearby who could do it.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 12:24 pm   #3
Fairlie
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Ben.
You're probably right. If I do decide to scrap mine, and you don't get one for yours. you can have the belts off this one.
Malcolm.
Old 25th Mar 2019, 10:57 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Thanks Malcolm. These are nice machines, but open circuit heads may be 'game over'. Perhaps if you take and post photos someone might have something used in another machine that might fit.
Old 25th Mar 2019, 12:37 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Bogens, are they?
Closed Thread