UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2019, 2:52 pm   #21
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Re: Hmv 2208

On the plus side 2 yellow one to speaker transformer and one to main board on right cycle side grey to mains transformer no4 on left circle side grey and yellow to mains transformer no3 right hand side circle 2 blacks not sure how to test do not want to make things worse I enclose picture of rectifier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_135115.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	180337  
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 3:22 pm   #22
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian27 View Post
On the plus side 2 yellow one to speaker transformer and one to main board on right cycle side grey to mains transformer no4 on left circle side grey and yellow to mains transformer no3 right hand side circle 2 blacks not sure how to test do not want to make things worse I enclose picture of rectifier
You need to connect your test meter's leads directly to the terminals of the bridge rectifier, as I've said in my recent posts. Firstly, connect the meter leads to the two "S" terminals and measure the AC volts there, then do the same at the "+" and "-" terminals, but first set the meter to read DC volts.

As you've unscrewed it from the chassis, don't leave it running for more than the time it takes to get the meter reading (seconds, not minutes), as the chassis of the recorder acts as a heatsink for the rectifier.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:04 pm   #23
Dorian27
Heptode

Ok tested as you said but readings are low connected to cycle 10.6v connected to+and- 6v I don't understand why this is
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:17 pm   #24
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Ok tested as you said but readings are low connected to cycle 10.6v connected to+and- 6v I don't understand why this is
If you only measured 10.6volts AC between the two “S” terminals of the bridge rectifier, then the voltage feed from the HT winding on the mains transformer must be very low.

Now, as the valve heaters and meter lamp work, the mains transformer is getting 240v ac to its primary winding. The next thing I would do is, WITH THE RECORDER UNPLUGGED FROM THE MAINS SUPPLY, measure the resistance of the HT winding of the mains transformer.

If you follow the wires connected to the bridge rectifier’s “S” terminals, they must both go to terminals on the mains transformer. Connect your meter, set to measure Ohms, to these two terminals and you should get a reading of 120 Ohms.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 5:43 pm   #25
Dorian27
Heptode

Ok followed wires set meter to ohms and no reading at all on any ohms setting I have 3 multimeter and all same zero I must thank you but it looks like mains transformer not working do you think
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 6:49 pm   #26
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Ok followed wires set meter to ohms and no reading at all on any ohms setting I have 3 multimeter and all same zero I must thank you but it looks like mains transformer not working do you think
OK, if you’re sure that your Ohms tests are valid, then it does look like the HT winding on the mains transformer is open circuit.

However, all is not lost, as I have found a broken wire where it emerges from the windings to be soldered onto the terminals. So, have a close inspection to see if that is the case with your transformer. If it is, with care, it can usually be repaired.

It might even be the case that the wire from the transformer windings isn’t properly soldered to the solder terminal.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 22nd Mar 2019 at 7:13 pm.
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 10:43 pm   #27
Dorian27
Heptode

I can't thank you enough for this help I will let you know if it is reparable thanks
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 11:36 pm   #28
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
I can't thank you enough for this help I will let you know if it is reparable thanks
I’m very happy to have helped you to locate the fault and I hope you can repair the transformer.
Closed Thread