UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2006, 8:34 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Alexandra Palace.

Hello,
An early start this morning and a drive with an artic to the Alexandra Palace for the model engineering exhibition. I though members distant from London or maybe across the waters would like to see how it looked today.
The original mast is still in place now carrying aerials for high tech communication that would have been nothing short of science fiction back in 1936 when that original pioneering signal was sent out over London and the Home Counties. The pictures show the artic in the Grand Hall giving some idea of the scale of the massive area. The view from the front terrace towards London. Part of the front central section. The Palm 'court' and the television [1936-56] mast. Regards. JOHN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Artic. Grand Hall AP.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Facade. AP.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast AP.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palm court.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2528   Click image for larger version

Name:	View AP.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2529  

Old 20th Jan 2006, 12:00 am   #2
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Alexandra Palace.

Don't let the afficionados hear you describe it as a "mast" - it's a "tower". A mast, apparently, is guyed, whilst a tower is free-standing. I've been b*ll*ck*d myself for the same fault.

That said, it's an impressive slice of history ....
Old 20th Jan 2006, 2:15 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

Thanks for the nice pictures John.

As it happens these are a interesting times at Alexandra Palace, since ownership is shortly to be transferred from the charitable trust run by Haringay council to a private developer. Two companies are interested; both are operators in the conference and events fields. It will be has yet to be decided which one will be chosen.

It's therefore unclear what the fate of the south-east 'television' wing will be. However, there are elements present in the developers proposals which give definite reason for hope...

Steve
Old 20th Jan 2006, 4:27 pm   #4
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCh
Don't let the afficionados hear you describe it as a "mast" - it's a "tower". A mast, apparently, is guyed, whilst a tower is free-standing. I've been b*ll*ck*d myself for the same fault.

Yes, I suppose, thinking about it, there are no guys on the Blackpool or Eiffel towers. By funny if there were though wouldnt it?

Aub
Old 20th Jan 2006, 5:45 pm   #5
Drifton
Pentode

Location: Cambridge... in that country formally know as 'Great Britain'

I went there a couple of years ago for a classic car show and it was one of the most wonderful exhibition venues I’ve ever been too. On a clear day the prospects across the basin are truly fantastic and the Palace it self is spectacular when viewed from below with its pylon still intact… Oops did I just say pylon?

Dave.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 10:43 pm   #6
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Those are great pictures John, to me it's always the "Television Aerial", I know of course that's it's a tower, but I think many of us refer to it as the aerial.

I do hope that we soon have some good news about the studios and that whoever takes over AP will restore them to some form of television museum, as it's the 70th anniversary this year it would be an ideal tribute to the pioneers who went on the air in 1936 to have them restored back to their former 1936 glory.

Best wishes,

Peter.
Closed Thread