UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 20th Oct 2012, 5:13 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK.
Posts: 133
Default Peel-Conner Candlestick Phone

I thought I was buying a GPO150, but what I have says 'Manufactured by Peel-Conner Telephone Works Coventry England' on the sleeve at the top of the stick. It came with a Bell box marked on the back G.P.O. E30/P34 No 1A. Unsurprisingly, as such, there is no ASTIC or Condenser in the box. It has a No10 dial. The phone had allegedly been adapted to work on a modern line, but was not functioning. It had clearly been gathering rust and dust for some time, but it did have a modern jack fitted and wires added everywhere.

There are several peculiarities. The hook switch is single contact, though the rest of the guts look identical to a 150. The receiver has a single round coil, rather than the expected two oval coils and is not magnetic (the diaphragm just falls out). The dial only has connections to the three screws on the right, when they are viewed at the top of the mechanism. The two left screws were unused.

I found a circuit diagram for a Peel-Conner desk phone which only had two wires from Phone to bell box, and had the single hook switch contact. It simply put the DC from the lines across the microphone and receiver in series. This would presumably have energised the receiver. Do I stand a chance of getting it working properly?

Nigel
Ghostuser is offline  
Old 29th Oct 2012, 8:06 pm   #2
Ghostuser
Pentode
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK.
Posts: 133
Default Re: Peel-Conner Candlestick Phone

It turns out that the receiver is a Peel-Conner Electromagnetic Receiver Code C103. This was indeed energised from the DC across the phone lines. I have checked the receiver and it works. I propose to add a second contact to the hook switch. The phone came with a bell 1A and I propose to add an ASTIC. The works will then be as for a 150 with bellset 1. The remaining uncertainty is with the microphone, which is a beautiful piece of 1920s engineering. Rather than scrap it, I will see if it can be overhauled as it is eminently dismantleable. All in all, quite a challenge.

Nigel
Ghostuser is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:48 pm.


All information and advice on this forum is subject to the WARNING AND DISCLAIMER located at https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html.
Failure to heed this warning may result in death or serious injury to yourself and/or others.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2002 - 2019, Paul Stenning.