UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2005, 2:50 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Valves for a CRT Televisor

I thought best to put this here as it is a general query on circuitry, as opposed to a definite TV question.

I have found a circuit for a CRT-display 30-line televisor in a book I got out of the University Library (Television, Theory and Practice; J. H. Reyner; Chapman and Hall, 1934) but want to adapt the circuit to use valve-types that I have.

The circuit calls for 2xGDT, 1xMVSPen, 1xMSPen and 2xMHL. Looking at the circuit, the GDTs are Thyratrons, and used to generate the line and frame timebases. These I can sub 6K25s or GT1Cs for. The MVSPen and MSPen appear to be constant-current valves used to improve the linearity. The circuitry here confuses me a bit. The name implies they are pentodes, but there are only two grids drawn in the circuit (tetrodes). I assume this means the supressor grid connected to the cathode has not been drawn as it is all done internally, or am I wrong? The little information I have been able to find implies these are HF/IF valves. Is it ok then to substitute 6K7Gs or similar, so long as they can handle sufficient anode current, or should I use audio O/P or line O/P valves? The books I have seem to give little information on constant-current pentodes. The MHL triodes are used in the detector stage of the reciever, so I don't really need to include these.

I want to try and use shouldered valves as they will look 'right' for a mid- to late-30s circuit! I am sucumbing to a bit of form over function!

Sam
Old 20th Dec 2005, 4:22 pm   #2
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Valves for a CRT Televisor

Hi - this sounds a fascinating project! You could probably use a 6K7G or EF39 as a substitute for the MVSPen as they are vari-mu pentodes, but both are really 1940s valves and Octals. Why not go for a VP4B and SP4B (for the MSPen), both British 7-pin jobs and more authentically 1935?

Good luck!

Cheers,
Neil
Old 20th Dec 2005, 5:44 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

This sounds an novel idea. I've not heard of anyone doing this - though that's probably down to my ignorance.

I assume that this is planned to be a single-standard set, but wonder how difficult it would be to adapt it to dual standard to work also on the NBTVA 32-line standard in the way that Gary Millard's NBTV Viewer software does.
Old 20th Dec 2005, 6:07 pm   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
I assume that this is planned to be a single-standard set, but wonder how difficult it would be to adapt it to dual standard to work also on the NBTVA 32-line standard in the way that Gary Millard's NBTV Viewer software does.
If it's a CRT set presumably just a tweak on the line hold ?

Out of interest which type of CRT are you using Sam?

Steve
Old 20th Dec 2005, 7:18 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Sam,

you could try the SP41 or SP61, these were used in a number of pre-war designs, but are readily available as the RAF VR65 and VR65A.

The SP41 / VR65A has a 4V heater, and the SP61 / VR65 has a 6.3V heater.

Jim.
Old 21st Dec 2005, 12:14 am   #6
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock
If it's a CRT set presumably just a tweak on the line hold ?

Out of interest which type of CRT are you using Sam?
From what it says in the text it does sound as if adjusting a control between the line and frame timebases can cause a line or two more or less than 30 to display - I think this is because the black-band synchronising used by Baird only was a line, and not a frame, synchronising signal.

The CRT will be a later type - probably an oscilloscope tube. I have a couple of 3" ones. I am trying to use this as a way to put some of the cr*p I have to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Breward
You could probably use a 6K7G or EF39 as a substitute for the MVSPen as they are vari-mu pentodes, but both are really 1940s valves and Octals. Why not go for a VP4B and SP4B (for the MSPen), both British 7-pin jobs and more authentically 1935?
I was trying to use valves I have as I only have a few pre-octal types. I do have one SP4B, but I have several 6K7Gs. I can't remember, but I think I have an SP46 or 61 about! It will be better to keep all the heater voltages the same too.

I will get the circuit scanned and attached tomorrow.

Sam
Old 22nd Dec 2005, 4:57 pm   #7
Sam
Hexode

OK, here is the circuit. Looks a lot simpler than a 405-line set!

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRT_Televisor_CCT.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2309  
Closed Thread