UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2019, 7:51 pm   #1
Bryngriff
Retired Dormant Member

Default VZ3500 tone arm fault

Hi, having tone arm troubles on a VZ3500. The unit is working and cueing correct but both tone arms are not tracking. When I remove the belt from the tone arm motor while the record is playing,the motor will turn and I can turn the drive worn gear and the motor stops and starts as it should. It seems like the motor has not enough power to drive when the belt is replaced.
It’s a new belt and I’ve put some silicon lube on the drive cable to try and ease it but it still won’t drive.
Anyone had the same problem.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 5:27 pm   #2
Bryngriff
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: VZ3500 tone arm fault

I’ve measured the voltage on the tonearm motor, I’m getting 3v on low speed and 8v on high speed, can anyone confirm if the 3v is correct because it doesn’t move the arm on slow speed.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 8:13 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Sorry I can’t confirm the voltages, but I’ve got a VZ3500 and that had a problem with the main turntable motor, with no belt attached it would run fine, but with a belt (new and the correct size!) fitted it would run very slow and even stall, turned out to be the bearings in the motor, a drop of clock oil ( or indeed any other thin oil will do, just not Wd40...) on the shaft where it goes into the bearing got it running perfectly again, and after a years use it’s still working well. I just wonder if that could also be the problem you are having, just with the tone arm motor instead of the turntable motor? Could be worth a shot just to see. It only needs a couple of tiny drops, you don’t want it going into it too far and getting on the brushes.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 24th Oct 2019, 6:03 am   #4
Bryngriff
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Lloyd,I tried a little sewing machine oil on the motor but it’s still not working with the belt on. I might try and clean all the lube off the rollers and see if that frees things up.Anyone recommend something to clean lithium grease from plastic rollers and gears without melting the plastic.
Old 4th Nov 2019, 11:36 pm   #5
Bryngriff
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone for the avalanche of advice. I’ve a update on my problem I found a faulty resistor R528. Changed it and now everything seems to be working ok.
Closed Thread