UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2019, 6:01 pm   #1
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Default DAC90A restoration, Lancashire

Hello chaps and ladies. "Am reet frustrated." Where do you go to find someone to restore a radio, someone tell me please. I joined this forum a few months ago hoping to get into how these radios work. But alas, at an age passed three score years and ten, i think i was kidding myself that i may still be able to learn something new, I can't, but i still have a passion about owning a few of these machines. So i want to get my last purchase restored to its very best, (Bush DAC90A). But the north of England, my town being Wigan, is almost devoid of these skills. And those that do this work are just to busy it seems. One chap in the Manchester area is asking you to wait 18 months before getting your set back. But when you get to 72 their ain't many 18 months left. So ill give him a miss, which is such a shame because he does do a great job.

Mainly the ones that do the job all seem to be based down at the other end of the country, And if i have to send it down south, I will. But i would prefer if i didn't need to. So if anyone as any suggestions, like knowing of a secret coven of radio repairers "livin int north," that could help me then i will be thankful.
Old 28th May 2019, 8:31 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: DAC90A restoration, Lancashire

Hi Horace, a few of us are over "this side" if you don't mind driving that far.
Many of us go to the Golbourne meeting in April and Nov, so delivery/ collection is no problem.
Post and couriers can so very easily destroy a set like the DAC90a

Cheers, Ed
Old 29th May 2019, 1:14 am   #3
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I like DAC90As!
If you can remove the chassis and desolder and resolder the speaker leads, and already have the mains lead I can offer you an "advance service exchange" overhauled, working chassis, or a two week turnaround on yours, by post.
Or I can accept the whole set.
Price: 10, plus 10 if a UL41 is needed, plus 10 if an output transformer is needed (faulty components to be returned to you for inspection). Plus postage.
I can also recommend Richard Booth at http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/rest...storation.html in Doncaster for a very competent professional service.
Martin.
Old 29th May 2019, 9:02 am   #4
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Hi a chap called George Fiddler lives in the Preston area and he is quite good this is his site
Started new job at Resound Vintage Audio Restoration
2016 — Owner-operator
Preston, Lancashire
Service Restoring Vintage Valve Radios, Dansette & Other vintage record players to brand new condition. Based in Lancashire
Old 29th May 2019, 9:16 am   #5
Big Al...
Triode

Hi Horace
What is it exactly that you require, is it to get the radio working or is it a cosmetic restoration you require. If it's only the former I may be able to assist you in your quest.
Regards another lanky lad.
Old 29th May 2019, 2:58 pm   #6
HoraceBatchelor
Triode

Thanks everyone for the suggestions given, much appreciated and really grateful for any help I can get.

If I didn't make it clear what I need. The need is after a full restoration to bring it up to today's safety standards, just to hear the old radio playing again and to have it looking as good as new. I'm also open to any other suggestions that could be done.

Once again thank you.
Old 29th May 2019, 4:24 pm   #7
TrevorG3VLF
Octode

You are a mere chicken at 72, you will need several more years to catch me up. I am still learning,

I play around with circuitry but am not keen on polishing, I get my sister to do that.
It looks as if there are plenty of helpers in your area.

I do not think that you will be able to get it up to today's safety standards but it should be able to be made safe enough. The DAC90A has a live chassis which I do not think will comply with the double insulated standards and may contain asbestos. Properly restored they are not dangerous.
Old 29th May 2019, 9:09 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post

I do not think that you will be able to get it up to today's safety standards but it should be able to be made safe enough. The DAC90A has a live chassis which I do not think will comply with the double insulated standards and may contain asbestos. Properly restored they are not dangerous.
That is correct. Whatever is done to the set it will never meet modern safety standards and theoretically it should not be modified in an attempt to do so. However it can be made safe to use and operate.

As with all vintage equipment, it is not advisable to leave it switched on unattended.

Whoever completes the restoration, you will be pleased with the results.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:30 am   #9
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

A quick update after drinking the tip generously provided by the OP:
It responded well to the usual attention to the capacitors and rubber wiring and cleaning and lubrication.
The output transformer required replacement (measured about 8K d.c. on the primary)
The wavechange switch had been forced and lost its ball. It wouldn't retain a replacement so a bodge with an M3 screw and nut was necessary.
The UL41 had marginal internal leakage but had good emission and applying 1kV from a Megger from G1 to the other pins produced a nice internal flash and cleared it.
It worked OK on my mains at 234V into the 250V tap and the electrolytic can remained cool over 3 days' soak test at Work (245V).
Closed Thread