UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2007, 7:47 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Engraving filler compound.

Engraving compound - the waxy tube stuff that I remember from yesteryear - used to be available in various colours - not just white. The stuff that is / was used to fill in engraving on - for example - bakelite panels.

Q.: is it still available? If yes - where / who?

Al / Skywave.
Old 8th Mar 2007, 9:13 pm   #2
hilitevr
Pentode

Default Re: Engraving filler compound.

Try this link

http://www.britink-online.co.uk/coco...nt_sticks.html

Best of luck
Trevor
Old 10th Mar 2007, 9:13 pm   #3
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: Engraving filler compound.

I have found the method recommended in Avometer service manuals very successful on the Bakelite panels of these meters.

The material used is cellulose paint (car touch-up paint). This is applied over the area of the engraving, carefully, but with no attempt to confine the paint only to the engraving. It can be applied quite thickly to fill the markings.

After leaving the paint to dry for around 24 hours, the excess is rubbed off using a cloth dipped in methylated spirits, leaving the paint filled engraving.

This is possibly more durable than using engraving wax but if wax has been used it would have to be removed entirely to allow the paint to stick.

Most sign makers also do panel engraving in metal and plastics but I do not know if they still use engraving wax.
Old 10th Mar 2007, 11:47 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Engraving filler compound.

Thanks PMM - I never knew that that was how it was done on AVO's!

I particularly like it since it uses readily available cheap materials, and should be long-lasting and hard-wearing.
I'll definitely give it a try. As it's an AVO I have in mind (at the moment ) and since this is the method recommended by them . . . . nuff said!

Al / Skywave
Closed Thread