UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2007, 6:34 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Cellulose dial straightening.

Attached is the pic of the dial from my ACT96 - some "tearing" has occured near the slots where the divider bar mounts. I was thinking of heating this in an oven sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass, say, in the hope that I can get the torn areas to lie flat(ter) ready for reassembling onto the bar.

Has anyone successfully done this ?

Ta !
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACT96 dial.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	8405  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Sep 2007 at 1:36 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 7:54 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: Cellulose dial straightening.

Hi Andy
I straightened the dial of my AC86 as follows:

Place dial on a piece of thick brown paper on a rigid flat surface, put another piece of brown paper over the top. With an electric iron set to "cotton" using firm pressure keep the iron moving over the dial which should soften slightly and flatten. Immediately place something large, flat and heavy on top (I used 5 or 6 encyclopedias) and leave for a couple of hours to cool.

This won't cure the shrinkage which occurs with age, you'd have to stretch it evenly all round while pliable to do that! So the holes will probably need moving or enlarging slightly.

Good luck!

Ian Blackbourn
Closed Thread