UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2015, 2:12 pm   #101
paulsherwin

Default Re: Restoring my old Soviet radios

The Selena plug appears to be rewirable. The examples we see here in Europe are always moulded onto the cable and are notorious for developing faults. Being moulded, they are impossible to repair, so there is a great shortage of Selena mains cables.
Old 18th Aug 2015, 2:32 pm   #102
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

You're right Paul, it is rewirable, and in that case, it is rewired, as I had to replace the cable. All Selena mains cords in Cuba were rewirable, AFAIK, and they also failed everytime, but they could be fixed.
Old 18th Aug 2015, 5:30 pm   #103
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Here my new radio adventure. This time it is a Siboney, ......or two of them, but the purpose is to get one of them restored in the end. The good thing is that I have given them a look and the parts that are broken on one set, are OK in the other, so I think I can make an hybrid to reach my goal. Siboney is a Cuban copy under license of the Soviet Spídola 231 (or 240, not sure). As most Soviet radios of that age, it uses Germaniums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0251.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	111886  
Old 19th Aug 2015, 9:40 am   #104
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you for the mains frequency info as well as the 220V point. With the 220 Volt option is it 0 - 220V or is it 110-0-110V (that is, both plug pins live)?
Old 19th Aug 2015, 4:46 pm   #105
orbanp1
Heptode

Hi Steve,

Here is a link to the Selena B-216 schematics:
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...na%20B216.html (It is in three pieces.)
As you can see the mains transformer has a 127V tap.
In another schematics of the same radio shows 2x110V windings for the mains transformer, they probably came in both versions.

The B-215 is the same radio as the 216 except the FM band covers the CCIR frequencies while the 216 has the OIRT FM band:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcast_band

Peter
Old 19th Aug 2015, 6:07 pm   #106
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Hi Miguel. I'm wondering if the current change in the relationship with your country's immediate neighbour will now make things easier for you re getting parts etc in and out of Cuba? I presume that Russian sets have been predominant for sixty years! Are there pre-revolution radios and other electronic items in existence along with your fantastic vintage cars? Is there a large radio/tv repair industry?
Best Wishes,
Dave Walsh
Old 21st Aug 2015, 2:09 pm   #107
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG
With the 220 Volt option is it 0 - 220V or is it 110-0-110V (that is, both plug pins live)?
110-0-110V with both plug pins live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbanp1
except the FM band covers the CCIR frequencies while the 216 has the OIRT FM band
Not 100% exactly, as all B216 in Cuba cover 88 to 108 MHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbanp1
In another schematics of the same radio shows 2x110V windings for the mains transformer
That is the case in my brand new Selena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh
will now make things easier for you re getting parts etc in and out of Cuba?
Not sure about that. There weren't components shops in Cuba during the Soviet era, when everything was abundant, so I don't think that it is going to be diferent due to the good relationship with the US.

Quote:
Are there pre-revolution radios and other electronic items in existence
Very, very few. People dumped most of them. Really sad. I don't know even about a museum to preserve such stuff in Cuba.

Quote:
along with your fantastic vintage cars?
Yes, they are fantastic, but vintage? just in appearance. Most od them fit Japanese, Korean or European modern diesel engines, and modern mechanics from any corner of the world.

Quote:
Is there a large radio/tv repair industry?
there are assembling plants for foreign product such as TV sets, and more recently digital TV decoders. During the 90s there was a solid state components plant which manufactured excelent components. I ignore the reason why that plant stopped working. Before that, there was an assembling plant for Eastern bloc radios and TV sets. (such as the Siboney and the RITMO that I have presented on this thread)
Old 21st Aug 2015, 5:44 pm   #108
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lopez View Post
Quote:
along with your fantastic vintage cars?
Yes, they are fantastic, but vintage? just in appearance. Most od them fit Japanese, Korean or European modern diesel engines, and modern mechanics from any corner of the world.
Just a gentle reminder that discussion of motor vehicles - even in Cuba - is Off Topic for the forums.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 8:49 pm   #109
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Noted Brian I've never been into motors, I was just trying to be complementary. Thanks for the replies Miguel. I suppose any early sets that are around could be valuable at some point although I did once see a documentary re getting pianos into your country for young musicians. It seemed that your otherwise favourable climate+Termites? turned their woodwork into a sponge in no time at all. We sometimes find wooden cased radio sets in the UK that are riddled with woodworm holes but nothing like the Cuban piano experience! Your English seems to be better than can be expected from the average Brit these days.
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st Aug 2015 at 8:58 pm.
Old 24th Aug 2015, 1:30 pm   #110
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Quote:
It seemed that your otherwise favourable climate+Termites? turned their woodwork into a sponge in no time at all.
Termites have always been a problem in Cuba. Most vintage electronics stuff which had wooden pieces were always "attacked" by termites. Soviet TV sets such as Electron and Krim being the main targets, but they also attacked valve radios, speaker cabinets, record players, and to a less extent, Selenas. I think as the later is a portable device is less exposed to termites.

Back to the radios.

I have fixed the electronics in the Siboney (See pictures). Althought I try to use vintage Soviet GT402 output transistors which originally fits the Siboney, it wasn't possible. They seemed to be OK but when I switched on the radio, current increased unstoppable. I replaced them by a couple of BD140, and I did not notice any crossover distortion.

The problem is that while I'm listenning to the radio, the station seems to vanish (zero reception), then you move the tuning knob and the station is now tuned 5 or 6 mm away. A time later the process is repeated and the station in tuned where it was originally.

I guess that is due to any faulty capacitor which change the frequency in the local oscillator, but I still have to discover which one.

Has somebody had this problem before?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0255.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	112155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0257.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	112156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0261.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	112157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0263.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	112158  
Old 25th Aug 2015, 2:02 pm   #111
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

The problem with the "jumping" stations is now solved. I replaced the MW PCB in the turret switch by the one from the second set. This PCB has only a couple of trimmers, a 1K resistor, a coil and a fixed capacitor. One of them should be faulty. The radio is working fine now.

Today I intend to replace some ceramic capacitors which had broken corners, and then I will go on with the cabinet.
Old 28th Aug 2015, 1:14 am   #112
ok1dpf tube
Diode

Hi Miguel, I can send you some boards from Russian transistor radios on the components on them except for transistors and other components. You can also write an accurate list of which you seek, in the Czech Republic are fairly common these parts because my country was occupied by the Russians for a long time. Yours sincerely Peter OK1DPF
Old 31st Aug 2015, 1:58 pm   #113
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Hi Peter, thank you for you offer. I'll think about it. Will answer you by PM.

Here is the Siboney already finished. It sounds very well. As I did in the other radios, I included a plug for the mains cord in the back cover. The PSU was installed in the batteries compartment; it consists of a transformer (of unknown origin) and a PSU PCB from a VEF206. I will keep the other set as spares.

As a curious detail I should say that this radio has the dial graduated in kHz for the MW band, but for all the SW bands, the dial is graduated in meters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0273.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	112451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0274.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	112452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0270.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	112453   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0267.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	112454  

Last edited by Miguel Lopez; 31st Aug 2015 at 2:20 pm.
Old 22nd Sep 2015, 4:31 pm   #114
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

I've been working on the Taíno-74 and it is now finished. I had to do several replacements. The first was to replace some parts of the cabinet. I openned some holes on the original cabinet cause this radio was the target of several "research and improvement" projects during my early days as an electronic technician.

I also replace several capacitors and the output transistors. It originally fitted MP41 as outputs, but my stock of this old Soviet germaniums got exhausted with the other restoration projects, I had to use MP26, which has less gain but stand more power. Gain is not a problem cause the output gets saturated before the volume control reach its max.

I have a special appreciation for this radio as it is the first that I had. My mother gave it to me as a birthday present when I was 7 or 8 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resized_DSCN0387.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	113358   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_DSCN0390.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	113359   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_DSCN0393.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	113360   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_DSCN0337.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	113361  
Old 22nd Sep 2015, 8:56 pm   #115
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

I have "discovered" a very interesting thing while working with the Taíno-74 and the Juvenil-80. These two radios are Cuban copies of the Soviet, Orbita-2 and Radiotehnika 625, I have said before. Any schematic of the Soviet models that I have found, show 8 transistors. The Cuban copies fit only 7 transistors. Even the Taíno-74 front panel reads "7 transistors". I think one got lost while coming from the USSR to Cuba.

I think that missing one is that of the constant current source that Soviet radios usually had to bias the other transistors. The problem is that the diode of those constant current sources is present in the Cuban sets.

Any idea regarding this?

http://www.radiohistoria.sk/Oldradio...TA%20-%202.jpg
http://www.radiohistoria.sk/Oldradio...LE/Orbita2.pdf
Old 28th Sep 2015, 5:38 pm   #116
Miguel Lopez
Heptode

Finally I have finished the last of the family. The little Juvenil-80, which is very similar to the Taíno-74, but it can only tune the MW band. Tunning is very good as well as audio, for a tiny Soviet device. Here some pictures.

This one is the last of my Soviet radios, so I think this project is done. I'm very happy with the results and I hope that this work had been of your interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0405.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	113576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0407.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	113577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0412.JPG
Views:	190