UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2007, 9:34 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Pye PE 80.International.

I am restoring a Pye PE 80 and there seems to be two vertical pieces of trim missing, either side of the grille which is expanded metal. (I thought these were cloth or are there different variations on a theme?) I have the two horizontal brass coloured strips but don't know if the other ones are wood or what.Has anyone got a pattern if they are wood? Also where can I get the very fine steel wire used as control cords and indicators?
Were the wood sides of the cabinet finished in black paint or french polish?
Was this quite a rare set and did they also do a radiogram model?
Thanks,
Mike.
Old 1st Jan 2007, 11:12 am   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye PE 80.International.

Hi Mike, I have one of these wonderful sets, so I think I can answer most of your questions. The early models did have a cloth covered grille and a black and gold dial but the later ones had the gold expanded mesh grille and the multi-coloured dial. There should be black painted wooden strips either side of the grille. One of these was missing on my set, but it was easy to make one from a piece of 1/8" ply to match the existing one.
You could try picture hanging wire for the control cables, although mine were fine. The wooden sides of the cabinet were painted black. Yes there was a radiogram version,The PE80 RG, available in September 1954, I've never seen one, but they cost 175 gns , and apparently had 13 dial lamps! FM was introduced shortly after so I doubt they would have sold many. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 1st Jan 2007, 1:08 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
You could try picture hanging wire for the control cables, although mine were fine. The wooden sides of the cabinet were painted black. Yes there was a radiogram version,The PE80 RG, available in September 1954, I've never seen one, but they cost 175 gns , and apparently had 13 dial lamps! FM was introduced shortly after so I doubt they would have sold many. .

Regards, Mick.
Picture hanging wire might work but is probably a bit stiff. I was lucky in that mine were OK so I was able to re-use the original cables and only needed to clean the mechanisms.

I remember seeing the RG version about 40 years ago. We had it in for service at the shop where I had a school holiday job in the workshop. A truly magnificent beast. As Mick has pointed out FM came in shortly after these sets were introduced and they fell out of favour. The replacements were of course the Fenman and the corresponding Fenman RG. Also lovely sets!

I think that there was an article on the PE 80 in one of the early Bulletins. As regular "forumites" will know I have a passion for these Pye sets and in my - biassed - opinion they rank among the best sets ever produced.

Regards,
Old 1st Jan 2007, 1:15 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
I think that there was an article on the PE 80 in one of the early Bulletins.
Yes, Volume 20 No5, October 1995, page 82. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 1st Jan 2007, 4:34 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Mike, I have taken measurements of the PE80 wooden speaker grille side trims and attached a pattern which should help you make reproductions. Any 3/16" thick piece of wood should do and it is quite easy to round off the ends and front edges with sandpaper, Spray them black, glue them on, job done. .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PE80 wood trim.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	7513  
Old 1st Jan 2007, 8:55 pm   #6
sparkymike
Octode

Smile Re: Pye PE 80.International.

To Mickjjo,
Funny I was going to ask you if you could do me a sketch.You have produced exactly what I need. Ply etc is no problem at all, I have plenty here of odds and ends. I have just dismantled a 1930's wardrobe and there was plenty in them!!
any thanks,
Mike.
Old 8th Jan 2007, 3:00 pm   #7
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Sparkymike

For your control cables, you could try stuff called Laystraight wire. This is used by aero-modellers who fly control-line model aeroplanes. These are diesel or glo-motor powered models which fly round in circles and are controlled in pitch (only) by the pilot who stands in the middle holding a handle to which two flexible stranded cables are attached and which go to a bell-crank inside the model. The cable is obviously pretty strong and comes in two thicknesses; Lightweight Laystraight and Heavyweight Laystraight. The lightweight stuff is a bit light for our use, but the heavyweight size, which is only heavyweight by model aircraft standards, is very useful stuff and may well be exactly what you need.

It comes in about 100ft reels as the models typically use line lengths of 30ft to 35ft. It should be available in good quality model shops and is not at all expensive. The alternative is called closed loop control cable. This is also used in model aircraft, but radio controlled ones. This wire is very simiar to the heavyweight Laystraight but is plastic coated so that it runs more smoothly through guides. This is also available in model shops but is considerably more expensive and comes in much shorter lengths.

HTH

TimR
Closed Thread