UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:13 am   #1
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help! Glueing Russian Plastic

I have a VEF Transistor Multi-band Radio with a broken fixing stud. I tried glueing it with Araldite but had no success. I suspect it is not one of the "most plastics " that Araldite claims to stick.
I have previously had success in fabricating studs and repairing cases that appear similar but I guess it is a thermal setting plastic that is not very common. I washed the surface with meths to degrease it so I doubt whether tthis is the problem.
Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:51 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help! Glueing Russian Plastic

Superglue?

Paul
Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:57 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello John,

I have a 1962 VEF Convair 1 which had a broken plastic chassis mounting and I surrounded it with Araldite and it held OK. If superglue doesn't hold either, try some polystyrene cement (don't spill any on the case !)

Howard
Old 12th Mar 2007, 12:43 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Polystyrene cement makes sense to me, as it is a solvent cement and as such, used correctly, will actually fuse together the surfaces to be joined, so restoring much of the original structural integrity in the affected area.

Superglue will work on polystyrene if you first prime the areas to be bonded with a permanent marker, or pay over the odds for the "plastics" superglue, which comes with a "primer stick" (permanent marker without the pigment, but the glue's the same and any old [solvent-based] marker will work).
Old 12th Mar 2007, 1:06 pm   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for the suggestions.
I had not tried superglue but it seems a good start. The polystyrene cement also seems a good bet.
I will heed your warning Howard, it seems like the plastic used for models and with these, cement in the wrong place really causes problems.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 1:08 pm   #6
batterymaker1
Heptode

Make sure the surfaces are roughened up and dull before you apply any epoxy. The cement needs something with a "tooth" to grab onto. A smooth surface is only asking for trouble.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 1:09 pm   #7
Tom_I
Heptode

Then there's the old trick with a lot of hard plastics of painting the broken surfaces with cellulose thinners, then holding them together until the joint sets. With luck this can produce virtually invisible repairs.

Remember to arrange plenty of ventilation, and keep well away from naked flames.

Tom
Old 12th Mar 2007, 3:32 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
Superglue will work on polystyrene if you first prime the areas to be bonded with a permanent marker
Now, that is a useful little tip that I didn't know about. And I presume that any marker left visible afterwards (if it hasn't been trapped under the glue) can be removed with meths.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 3:45 pm   #9
GJR 11L
Heptode

I guess it could, but I only ever use the marker pen in locations that won't be visible, otherwise I would bring out the inkless "primer" version that came with the superglue but isn't any more than an excuse to ramp up the price!
Used in this way, one "Primer" stick can last through about five or six tubes of glue, possibly more but mine is on its sixth as it happens.

By the same logic, any length of felt stuffed into the body of a marker pen and loaded with suitable solvent would work too.

That said, the best results I've had repairing such polystyrene cabinets as those found on the Russian set being discussed here as well as Bush MB60s and TR82s were achieved, perhaps unsurprisingly, with polystyrene cement and the brush that comes in the bottle with it. Don't use the pasty variety that comes in tubes unless you want to get it all over the place apart from on the job!
Old 14th Mar 2007, 3:51 pm   #10
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Just to tie things up, all the suggestions have have been a great help. I have had success with a belt and braces approach combining several of the tips.

After degreasing with meths I used superglue to hold the broken piece in place. Then I applied some plastic weld from a model shop to the case and the broken piece as a primer. I built up a fillet of Araldite to make the secure fixing. Past experience has shown standard Araldite to be far superior to rapid, the superglue fixing meant there was no problem in keeping it stable for the longer setting time.

So far the joint seems to be very strong and taking all the loads I have put on it.

Thanks again to all.
Closed Thread