UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2007, 4:53 pm   #1
tristar
Retired Dormant Member

Question Tandberg TP41. Tuning locked.

Hello everyone. I have just got hold of a Tandberg TP41 in pristine condition. It works great on all frequencies, but the MW tuning knob is solid. i.e. won't move all. There's nothing in its way, just rock solid. Anyone know of a fix?

Cheers Dean.
Old 11th Aug 2007, 10:51 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg TP41. Tuning locked.

How does the tuner work on these? Can you post some pictures. I don't know what a Tandberg TP41 is - how old, etc.

Then someone will be able to post the correct info.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 11th Aug 2007, 11:10 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

All I'll say is be VERY CAREFUL!!

The plastic pegs which support the pulleys on these sets are fragile, and you can end up in a real mess if you're not careful. I know from personal experience

Nick.
Old 11th Aug 2007, 11:25 pm   #4
Mullard
Pentode

I had a similar problem with one of these. It was the tuning spindle that was seized in the bush. The grease had dried out and the shaft had seized solid. I used a tiny drop of white spirit and allowed it to seep down the bush and gently urged to to turn. After a while it was completly free and a little light oil has kept it OK. It was not my set, so pictures are not so easy.

John
Old 12th Aug 2007, 7:33 pm   #5
tristar
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks steve p and nickthedentist and mullard for the quick replys i would just like to add what a great site has you can see iam a new member and i think i will be spending alot of time on here i just fell sorry for the wife hahaha well mullard you was correct / spot on and yes i fixed the problem but came across another one the pulley which moves the pointer for the guide came all undone ouch and can i chuff get it back are well i can still tune just cant see where i am on the frequency guide but thanks to all your replys / help within this matter and i hope i can help yourselves and others within the near future many thanks Dean
Old 12th Aug 2007, 10:02 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

As this is not an electrical repair, I've moved the thread to a more appropriate section.
Old 13th Aug 2007, 11:12 am   #7
Tom_I
Heptode

This seems to be a Tandberg "characteristic".

Seized AM tuning capacitors are apparently a common problem in the Sølvsuper tuner/amps from the 1970s. I fixed one recently, and it was not a simple job. I don't know what sort of grease they used on these things, but I sure wish they'd used something else!

Tom
Old 21st Sep 2007, 12:06 pm   #8
GJR 11L
Heptode

Another victim of this "characteristic" here! I use an old syringe body with the cap from a superglue dispenser as an applicator for getting penetrating fluid into places where I don't want it to spread and ruin things, but that grease they used in there has the appearance of old-fashioned animal grease which would explain how the bearing seized.

Once I've washed it all out of there with IPA, air, more IPA and more air, then I intend to replace it with a little of the white rope & chain grease since that doesn't dry out with age and comes in a handy aerosol.

I don't think that the bearing is of a material that would be eroded by the EP additive in some heavy oils though, so may try that.

What does anyone, who already did this job, recommend?

Last edited by GJR 11L; 21st Sep 2007 at 12:07 pm. Reason: punctuation
Closed Thread