UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2018, 2:56 pm   #1
Bomber county
Pentode

Default Taylor 45A supect meter question?

I have recently come across a 1951 Taylor 45A valve tester on which I suspect the meter might be non functioning. Anyone know anything about them? I have resistance across the 2 large terminals on the back. The needle moves freely. No visible sign of burning or damage inside etc. What range would it have measured? It just says Mutual Conductance, Megohms on the dial. Should a test on DC voltage confirm my suspicions?
Old 16th Aug 2018, 9:58 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Taylor 45A supect meter question?

Does the needle move when you apply voltage or just swing freely, these meters are very reliable usually, the transformer is the weak component. only ever have it switched on to test a valve and never leave switched on unattended. I have several that all have transformer failures.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 11:29 am   #3
Bomber county
Pentode

Sorry about the delay, been away for a couple of weeks. How much voltage dare I apply to it for the purposes of testing? Tried an old educational 12 volt bench power supply on it starting at 0 volts and gradually took it up to 12 or so but not so much as a flicker from the needle.
Old 4th Sep 2018, 1:25 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Sounds like it's toast, unfortunately. You may be lucky and find a fixable break inside somewhere.

The 45A instruction manual says the meter has a FSD of 250uA approximately, so it won't be as expensive as a VCM or the like to replace. You may need to forgo the illumination feature, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread