UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2018, 3:58 pm   #21

Default Re: Odd hum problem with newly built stereo 3-3

I have slid in a bit of old lamination twixt transformers to reduce hum, orient for best results.

Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:04 am   #22
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Odd hum problem with newly built stereo 3-3

Sideband, you are right - it does sound good! The 3-3 design always did. I've built several over many years as well as numerous other Mullard designs, mostly those with higher power and push-pull outputs but subjectively, the 3-3 is the equal of these. True, there's only limited power but it is often hard to believe that fact when you listen to the warm and expansive sound. It is truly an inspired design and its direct coupling and frequency-conscious feedback takes some beating.

Dave, I know what you mean. It is always the same when I've built anything, that feeling that it should be rebuilt to solve the often very slight yet niggling 'faults' that annoy the perfectionist builder! It's a cross many of us have to bear. I've built the 3-3 using the original tag board construction, as here with this one, also using various designs of PCB (I like designing PCBs. Maybe I should get out more often) as well as using a variety of power supply and input arrangements. The thing is that they all work and there is little to choose performance-wise between any of my 3-3 builds, ancient or modern.

Merlin, that lamination idea is one I'll keep in mind for future use. Neat answer.

Regards to all

Tony
Closed Thread