UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2018, 6:14 pm   #1
barrywebb
Tetrode

Default EKCO RP364 Stereo cartridge replacement

Hi i have a EKCO RP364 stereo record player that has just had a amp recap and the amp is now tip top but the cartridge has failed so im looking for a replacement the cartridge is held in place by one screw at the end of the arm.
The cartridge is made by Acos with a flip over stylus 78/LP.
I know the cartridge is of the ceramic type but its finding one with the same type fitting the deck by the way is a Garrard maybe a 209 i think.
Has anyone got any ideas to were i could get a replacement or will i have to do a mod to the arm which i don't really wont to do.
Any help at all would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2106.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	167120  
Old 6th Aug 2018, 7:15 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: EKCO RP364 Stereo cartridge replacement

I don't think you will find a cartridge that is fitted in the same way as the present one, which I presume is an Acos GP73, looking at the stylus flag. The Garrard 209 has a uniquely shaped interior to the arm, as it was designed initially to take the GC2 mono cartridge. Sometimes, but not always, there are two holes under the foil "Garrard" badge, which will allow you to fit any cartridge with a mounting bracket that has corresponding 1/2" mounting slots. If there are no holes, it's a fairly easy job to drill a small countersunk hole through the centre of the shaped piece on the arm that holds the badge, and replace the badge afterwards. The other thing to consider is that the GP73 cartridge has only three connecting pins, the central one being a common "earth". Modern cartridges have four pins (two separate "earths"), so you will have to either connect the two earth pins on the new cartridge together with some fine wire, or solder another wire and connector to the existing "earth" wire. As to a replacement cartridge, they are getting very scarce and expensive, but if you can find one, a BSR SC11M or SC12M would be ideal, but make sure that they come with the mounting bracket, if not, they will be useless.

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 6th Aug 2018 at 7:20 pm.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 6:37 pm   #3
barrywebb
Tetrode

Hi thank you very much for your reply and help it is very helpful never thought of removing the arm foil and seeing if there is a hole there and like you say if not its not a problem to put one there.
Im now looking out for a BSR SC12M cartridge.
Barry.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 11:09 am   #4
barrywebb
Tetrode

Hi i have just managed to get hold of a nos BSR SC11M cartridge its not a SC12M as advised but im hopping it will do the job.
Will update when it arrives and ive fitted it .
The good news is it also comes with mounting clip.
Barry
Old 12th Aug 2018, 2:13 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There is not that much difference between the TWO cartridges. You should find this satisfactory tracking at 5 grams.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 8:24 pm   #6
barrywebb
Tetrode

Thanks for your reply about the tracking weight very useful.
I have removed the arm and can confirm that there are two holes under the foil so there should be no trouble fitting the new cartridge.
I will update as soon as the cartridge arrives and i have fitted it.
Thanks to all.
Barry.

Just one thing would anyone know the wiring for the BSR cartridge left and right + and the two Ground wires?
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:44 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrywebb View Post
Thanks for your reply about the tracking weight very useful.
I have removed the arm and can confirm that there are two holes under the foil so there should be no trouble fitting the new cartridge.
I will update as soon as the cartridge arrives and i have fitted it.
Why have you needed to remove the arm? The replacement cartridge can be fitted without the need for this.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 9:56 am   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrywebb View Post
Just one thing would anyone know the wiring for the BSR cartridge left and right + and the two Ground wires?
If you look carefully, there are + and - marks embossed on the body of the cartridge beside the relevant pins.
Old 16th Aug 2018, 8:31 pm   #9
barrywebb
Tetrode

Ok a update first i removed the arm so i could get a screwdriver up under the arm to fit the new cart clip the screws fit from under the arm due to the fact that under the arm foil there are two holes with nut holding slots.
I have now fitted a BSR SC11M cartridge had a few problems with broken cartridge contact clips coming un soldered so had to re solder new plugs to that.
Anyway thats all done arm fitted and tracking set as advised to 5grms.
After doing all that inc a amp rebuild and deck clean and re-lube i can say this thing sounds great well worth all the effort and thanks to everyone for all your help on getting the piece of history running as good as new.
Once again thanks to all.
Barry.
Closed Thread