UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2012, 4:13 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default TV Coax connectors

Not sure if these are components, TV bits or old household stuff, but here's a few titbits for the anoraks, found in a collection of bits passed on to me by an ex-colleague (retired rather than literally).

Some are really nicely made, some just classic telly aerial plugs and one, the RS plug seriously weird- it seems to be a solderless type, but how to terminate it?

Any ideas about the unknowns? One at any rate looks to be one of the higher quality types.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coax.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	71294  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Oct 2012, 11:59 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: TV Coax connectors

I believe the unknown socket to be 1960's Radiospares.

Ron
Old 10th Oct 2012, 1:02 am   #3
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Here is my meager collection of plugs and sockets. I used to have some of the ones shown in Herald1360's photos with the plastic cases, others of my came from Radiospares and I have some others still attached to some cables and are slightly different to any the ones shown.

As you can see at least one of them came out of a TV set at one time or another.

I used to call all of them Belling Lee connectors, regardless of who actually made them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2755.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	71328   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2756.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	71329   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2757.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	71330  
Old 11th Oct 2012, 8:21 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: TV Coax connectors

Hi,
Are these types of co-axial connectors used on American tellies? I was always under the impression that the USA used 300ohm flat "ribbon" cable.
I've got some Aerialite plugs like those at bottom right. Had 'em for years & never used 'em.
Cheers, Pete
Old 11th Oct 2012, 8:37 pm   #5
MrElectronicman
Heptode

These are, as I call them, Belling Lee connectors, and were only used on UK sets as far a I know. The USA TV connectors are the now universal F type, but 300 ohms ribbon cable was also used for UHF initially.

I have a number of the Belling Lee connectors that I brought over from the UK when I moved to North America, as I was using them for audio at the time.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:02 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Herald's right angle plug, and some of the plugs in MrElectronicman's second and third pictures, have annular grooves on the outside of the business end of the outer contact. I assume that this was some sort of positive detent to positively hold the plug in place in a suitably-configured socket. All the plugs shown in an August 1952 issue of a BL catalogue have this feature. Presumably it was later found to be unnecessary and not continued.

I have never seen a full-sized BL plug with such a groove, but it was a feature of the miniature version of the Belling-Lee plugs that I sometimes used in the 1970's. In the miniature connectors, the socket had an outer spring circlip with an inwardly-extending pip that engaged the groove of the plug.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BL plug 1952.pdf (423.9 KB, 535 views)
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:23 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectronicman View Post
...I was using them for audio at the time.
Interesting to hear that, I've seen them used on Bush SRP31s and a 1950s Rogers mono pre-amp, but not much else. Were they commonly used for audio before the (American?) "phono" plug became standard?

N.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:34 am   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

I've seen them on 1960s Heathkit hi-fi equipment used for audio. I don't know whether Heathkit stuff was the same on both sides of the Atlantic, though.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:47 am   #9
emeritus
Dekatron

Tne PA system in my school's hall included a twin deck record player console (two different Collaro autochangers, one with a "16" speed) and had a BL socket for the microphone input. I think it must have been a home brew set up dating from the mid-1950's. It was already there when I started there in 1958.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:55 am   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
All the plugs shown in an August 1952 issue of a BL catalogue have this feature.
Fascinating... I recall the 3-pin plug/socket shown in your link as being the one used in my primary-school back in the 1960s. There was a 'wired' audio system with the radio somewhere-secret (headmaster's office?) and the signal was fed over catenary-suspended cables to the classrooms and the school-hall.

When it was time for a particular class to listen to one of the BBC "Schools programmes" a large loudspeaker-box [light-coloured plywood, about 2-feet-square and six inches deep with an expanded-metal grille on the front] would be taken to the appropriate classroom and plugged into the magic socket.

We then all sat round expectantly waiting for the programme to start.

To this day, I viscerally loathe the idea of "Music and Movement".

--G6Tanuki.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 12:05 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
To this day, I viscerally loathe the idea of "Music and Movement".
Me too, but it was always nice to hear the Clarke & Smith or Hacker equipment in action.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 12:31 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

The attraction of BL coax connectors for DiY audio was the same as for TV aerials- they were CHEAP. And pretty good, too. In fact, by the late fifties for most tinkerers, they were probably pretty much free thanks to old tellies etc.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2012, 1:53 pm   #13
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I still have a home-built and designed (transistorised) reel to reel tape recorder I made in the early '60s which uses Belling-Lee plugs and sockets for the low-level inputs and outputs.
As Herald 1360 says, they were cheap, and did the job OK. Being in the trade, they came at the most reasonable possibe price ;-) Also easy to mount, with 3 simple small holes.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 7:06 pm   #14
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Herald's right angle plug, and some of the plugs in MrElectronicman's second and third pictures, have annular grooves on the outside of the business end of the outer contact.
The second plug in the second picture is actually a floating socket, hence the clip on the business end.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 8:58 pm   #15
whyperion
Hexode

Coax sockets used on my dads amp and tape recorded for the BIAS/Erase connections.
Jack plugs for the audio.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 9:43 pm   #16
Panrock
Nonode

I also recall a Belling-Lee coaxial plug was also used to connect the microphone to the Pye Fenman II 'record maker' (magnetic disc) radiogram that my dad had in the 'fifties.

Steve
Old 18th Oct 2012, 8:15 am   #17
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Interesting to hear that, I've seen them used on Bush SRP31s and a 1950s Rogers mono pre-amp, but not much else. Were they commonly used for audio before the (American?) "phono" plug became standard?
My Rola 77 reel to reel uses these connectors (commonly called PAL connectors here) for the heads, and my father used to use them for low-level audio when he did sound effects etc in the theatre.
Closed Thread