UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2018, 1:20 am   #1
bloggo3
Banned

Default Marconiphone - But which model

I've acquired a Marconiphone 4 Track 2 Speed reel to reel recorder. I just want to transfer some old Family tapes to my computer.
It seems to function okay but playback is a bit slow. I presume it needs new belts but there is no model number anywhere on it. Would any of you kind people on this forum be able to identify it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_115724.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	167107   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_115840.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	167108  

Last edited by Station X; 6th Aug 2018 at 9:15 am. Reason: Linked images converted to thumbnails.
Old 6th Aug 2018, 1:23 pm   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone - But which model

Most probably a 4000 series (4202?) in the Thorn range; 4 being Marconiphone,, 2 Ferguson etc. There is very little difference between them.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 11:43 am   #3
bloggo3
Banned

Hi, Thanks a million for your help. You were spot on with your info. It is indeed a 4200. Now I just need to find which belts I need and where to get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-1960-s-marconi-phone-reel-to-reel-working-84-1_800X600.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	167178  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 7:54 pm   #4
JohnBHanson
Heptode

There is only one belt and that is for the tape counter.

When fast forward or rewind the reel tables move inwards to engage a friction drive. Check that the tables can move freely.

You have the 4 track version. If there is a 9 pin socket at the back it will also have second head/monitor and remote pause. If you have the microphone this also has a remote pause switch in this case.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 8:08 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

If you can't sort the friction drive that John points out bloggo, perhaps you could use one of the editing software packages to vary the incoming signal speed eg Audacity. I'm not at all "up to speed" on computers though. I used to do it manually re cassettes on a machine that had vari-speed playing back 10% or so either way-a Yamaha I think

Dave W
Old 7th Aug 2018, 8:44 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I See I've still got it though it stopped working some time ago Model TB-700!
I used it to speed up some Dylan cassette interviews running slow.

Dave
Old 7th Aug 2018, 9:34 pm   #7
Restoration73
Nonode

An external unit utilised the unused track to record a tone to actuate a slide projector.
Old 7th Aug 2018, 11:35 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

With these tape recorders, if the rubber parts are OK then the problem is nearly always dried grease.

The take-up spool carrier is in two parts, with a simple friction clutch between them. The bottom section is driven in "play" and "record", and the clutch slips to allow the top section to rotate at its own speed, slowing down as the tape builds up on the reel (the 9.5cm. of tape paid out every second by the capstan occupies less of each successive turn laid down). In "wind" and "rewind", the spool carriers are driven from the top, bypassing the clutch so the spool turns at full speed. All this is achieved by moving idler wheels into and out of contact with the spool carriers, or sometimes by moving the spool carriers into and out of contact with the idler wheels.

What often happens is, where there is a sliding member with a slot riding over a fixed pin, you get a build-up of dried grease at one end of the slot; and this restricts it from travelling fully, so some part of the mechanism does not engage properly. This results in speed variations as even although the capstan is driven directly from the end of the motor spindle and not via the train of intermediate wheels, the load on the motor is changing due to the imperfect contact. You will have to pick out all the old grease with a wooden cocktail stick (so as not to scratch anything), and re-lubricate. It's a bit tedious, for sure, but rewarding to hear the improvement .....
Old 8th Aug 2018, 3:10 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

You do realize that this is a 2 speed version, and in the pic yours seems to be set at the slower of the two (the selector is the knob at the back between the two spools).

The last one of these Thorn FTD4 decks I looked at has the speed change mech seized, so the idler was not engaging properly on the right motor step. That may well be the case here. Take the top off and observe with a sacrificial tape just in case!
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:49 am   #10
bloggo3
Banned

Thanks a million for all the assistance. I am truly amazed at your knowledge. Unfortunately, I have been laid up since Tuesday (probably Flu) and have to wait until tomorrow for an appointment with my GP. This is my first time out of bed but I'm on the mend and hope to open up the machine on Saturday. I'll probably be back looking for more help. I must admit that I haven't even tried to move the speed switch yet. Having read all your replies (for which I am really grateful) I am very optimistic that the machine can be sorted out.

Thanks again, will be in touch.
Closed Thread