UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2006, 7:32 pm   #1
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Question Keracolor TV's are being made again?

Hi All,

I don't know whether you've seen this or not, but it appears Keracolor TV's are being made again?

I found this site: http://www.keracolor.com/main.html After a search on EBAY

It claims that this new company (which appears to be a bit of a garden shed job and by this I mean small numbers made) have purchased the moulds and are making new GRP cases and mounting a standard modern TV inside. Prices start around £1,000!!

Hope it is of interest and starts a discussion.

Cheers,

Trev
Old 25th Apr 2006, 7:39 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Keracolor TV's are being made again?

The URL should be http://www.keracolour.com/ (UK spelling of colour)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th Apr 2006, 8:15 pm   #3
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Both URLs work.
Old 25th Apr 2006, 8:38 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The first one didn't for me earlier, but does now. It's sensible for them to have both though.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Apr 2006, 8:45 pm   #5
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Of course y'all realize it's just a cheapie 200-quid sorry-state chassis stuck inside a fancy case...

I wish that if someone were to make a reproduction of a vintage electronics device -- especially one costing 1,000 pounds -- that they'd make an effort to have the electronics be of the same quality as the original they're paying homage to.

Don't give me the cheap five quid transistor radio stuck in a sawdust box. Sure, if you're going to make it transistorized, that's fine. But at least use quality switches, controls, a real chassis, etc.
Old 25th Apr 2006, 8:48 pm   #6
evingar
Octode

I wish them the best of luck

I guess there will be a small "retro" market for them, and as they have SCART at least they won't be in the tip when analogue goes, although fitting a desktop box may be a problem
Old 25th Apr 2006, 8:57 pm   #7
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

good luck to them I see they are making spare parts for the originals, which could make them a few bob
Old 25th Apr 2006, 9:19 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It would be good if they stated what make of TV chassis they were using. It would help inspire confidence in people spending £1000+ if they knew they were getting something decent like Panasonic or Sony rather than Alba or Goodmans...

Having said that though, Steve Ostler used Nikki and Alba chassis in his repro TV22s and says he hsn't had any failures.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Apr 2006, 9:47 pm   #9
ColinB
Heptode

Looks similar to these

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

making repro philco predictas
Old 26th Apr 2006, 6:36 pm   #10
ianj
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Keracolor TV's are being made again?

Yes, Ive looked at these; the chassis does look very cheap;and there is no new moulding around the squarer flatter modern tube, so you can see that its reengineered--nonethe less, its nice to see--brings back zany memories of the early 70s!!!!!!! ianj
Old 26th Apr 2006, 8:33 pm   #11
Lowemission
Tetrode

If i remember correctly (probably wrong!) wasn't the Keracolor name plus moulds etc up for auction on ebay sometime ago.

I thought there was a discussion about it on this forum but couldn't find it in the search, just thought as it was in the "ebay" section it's probably been deleted.

Julian
Old 27th Apr 2006, 5:35 pm   #12
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Having said that though, Steve Ostler used Nikki and Alba chassis in his repro TV22s and says he hsn't had any failures.
I've since had one actually.... it was a transistor in the regulator section in one I bought back for resale. The B+ volts were well down and the customer hadn't even noticed.

A few years ago I was approached by a businessman from Richmond who wanted to re-start producing Keracolors. I gave him a quote but nothing came of it.

BTW I'm bringing my all-plated '93 'Imperial' to the next NVCF. You can glimpse it HERE.

Steve

Steve
Old 27th Apr 2006, 5:55 pm   #13
JoshWard
Octode

I look forward to it Steve! Its a shame that the retroviser was released before I became interested in radio + TV as I would really like one! (hint, hint!). Josh.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 7:56 am   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Isn't it strange how fickle these fads are? At the time when they were. say. ten years old, we found that the few Keracolors that turned up in part exchange were virtually unsaleable, and went to the dealers or the chassis were kept and the cabinet scrapped! Something like a Bradford or G8 would be refurbished and sold!
Old 17th May 2006, 1:16 pm   #15
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Just looked at the Keracolour site and the TV specifications. I wish the guy luck. Prices seem high, but set-up costs, research etc. aren't cheap. But I would have liked to see what chassis is being used...

No mention of a digital (DTT) tuner. If I got one I'd like it to still be working after 2012 without an extra set-top box...
Old 29th May 2006, 11:35 pm   #16
keracolor
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie
Of course y'all realize it's just a cheapie 200-quid sorry-state chassis stuck inside a fancy case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie

I wish that if someone were to make a reproduction of a vintage electronics device -- especially one costing 1,000 pounds -- that they'd make an effort to have the electronics be of the same quality as the original they're paying homage to.

Don't give me the cheap five quid transistor radio stuck in a sawdust box. Sure, if you're going to make it transistorized, that's fine. But at least use quality switches, controls, a real chassis, etc.

Thanks for all your comments about the new Keracolor, good & bad!

I would first like to say that the reason we have not put what chasses & tubes we are using is that all the TV are built to order and we use different types mostly Philips CTR with Sanyo chasses with custom build control panels to individual customer requirements for the 25” model. The 20” is most made up from Thomson components many due to the shape of there CRT, but again we up grad the speaker and make custom controls, all have Scarts, AV, ect…

The reason for the “high” price is all the cabinets are made for Class1 Fire retardant GRP, There is a custom made shelf that again is fire retardant, custom made swivel brackets, control panels ect……then we have most of them sprayed by a profession body shop in any colour to a very high standard, I could go on all day, but as most of you will appreciate the amount of time required I will leave it at that.

Due to conditions of the original mould they need a lot of work to get them up to a usable condition, as well as a little reshape to the front to get the CRT to sit correctly.

As for quality any of you are more that welcome to come and have a look for yourselves, the finish in my opinion and everyone else that has seen one up close is fault less!!! But I will leave it up you to make your own minds up.

We are currently working on LCD models with built in DVD players, Playstations, ect, but again we are having to rework some of the moulds & have just started work on a all new Keracolor case.

If anyone would like to read the Keracolor history page on the web site the user name is Keracolor password john99.

If any of you have any question, please PM me on here.

Regards

John
Keracolor Televisions
Old 30th May 2006, 8:40 am   #17
Panrock
Nonode

All the above very reasonable IMO and I do understand the challenges and the sheer time involved in 'getting it right' in small-scale television production.

Good luck, and I hope you find an eager market for your product.

Steve ('Retrovisor')

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 30th May 2006 at 5:29 pm. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:23 pm   #18
slidertogrid
Octode

The best of luck I am sure you find a good market for your sets , I remember repairing the original version and lets face it it was only fitted with a mainstream Decca/ Plessey chassis, not a B&O or anything. Also the modern version has to conform to modern standards, im sure no one wants one to go up in smoke ! that would be taking originality a bit too far It is odd how fasion changes I remember buying loads of Philips Nouveu sets for next to nothing because they had white tops and rosewood sides people thought they were hideous! but a bit of teak fablon later..... The original Keracolour only had a limited market, you might end up selling more repos than originals! anyone know how many Decca versions were made?
Old 16th Aug 2006, 1:06 pm   #19
evingar
Octode

What is happening to this project ? Their Web site is still up, but this is on eBay :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KERACOLOR-SPHE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 18th Aug 2006, 2:03 pm   #20
Panrock
Nonode

Doesn't look good, does it ?

In this era of widescreen there is an intrinsic problem for anyone wanting to market a 'new' 4 x 3 design.

Also television is not like radio in one crucial respect. Whereas people are happy to admire the look of their quaintly-styled radio as it does its stuff churning out sound - when they're watching television they can't do this - they're watching the picture on the screen instead.

Yeah, I know this is not how we 'collectors' think - but we represent a tiny market. This is how the general public thinks. When it comes to television, the general public are used to paying low real prices for a high level of functionality with the drive behind the sale coming from the latest gizmo and feature content. They won't pay loads extra just for the 'look' of a tv set and will get confused if this is the marketing message on offer. For them, anything that looks 'old' must be old - and therefore it isn't cool.

I speak from bitter experience....

Steve
Closed Thread