UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2011, 7:51 pm   #1
david3006
Tetrode

Unhappy Bits near North Norfolk

Hi,
Just really starting up at this game, but was once a BBC trained person (mostly forgotten now!). I'm finding it really hard to accumulate a decent range of usable stuff for my bits box, since in North Norfolk there seems to be a famine of scrap sets. If anyone on this forum knows of the location of radio/audio jumble within a reasonable distance of the Norfolk coast I'd be really grateful for some leads. Most auctions/swapmeets shown on the forums seem to be south west or way up north, a long way from here.

Thanks
David
Old 11th Nov 2011, 8:16 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Bits near North Norfolk

I think there's a amateur radio rally at the old Weybourne ranges (Muckleburgh Collection) quite near you each year. Other than that I think there's a antiquey/booty thing at Lynn.

Andrew
Old 11th Nov 2011, 8:22 pm   #3
llama
Octode

The Barford (Amateur) Radio Rally was held on 4th July in 2010 and I expect there'll be one in 2012. King Lynn has a rally around August/September time.
I've been to both of these over the years and enjoyed them. A long time to wait though!
Roll on Canvey...
Graham
Old 11th Nov 2011, 9:15 pm   #4
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Valve sets quite often are unsold in lots at Aylsham auctions.
Rob
Old 11th Nov 2011, 11:03 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

Boot fairs are thin on the ground at this time off year but on looking up your location on the map { HOLT,Norfolk },You do seem to be out in the sticks. I would have thought Norwich might have a few places to collect stuff.Components ,old radio's etc.
Always a good idea to join the nearest Freecycle or Freegle group and either wait to see what is offered or put a couple of wanted requests out for old valve equipment. I have aquired quite a few items over the years.
Stick an advert in a newsagents window saying you need parts too fix old equipment .
By the way,What kind of stuff are you hoping to fill your parts box with ?
Things are often offered on this forum from time to time FOC in many cases.
Hope that helps.
I am in Kings Lynn at the moment and its b..... cold
Peter W........Reelguy. {Bexhill }
Old 11th Nov 2011, 11:58 pm   #6
trh01uk
Octode

You can buy any amount of junk on Ebay for quite modest prices - particularly when you consider the cost of fuel to get to/from rallies.

Its actually harder to sell complete equipment - like old test gear - than it is to sell some of the nice bits inside. For instance, nearly all valve gear has a useful mains transformer inside - but it sells much better once its listed as a separate item. So canny buyers will pay for a complete bit of junk and get the full benefit at a modest price.

Richard
Old 12th Nov 2011, 9:44 am   #7
davidw
Heptode

There's a decent late starting (11am) bootsale at Stalham on sundays http://www.yourbooty.co.uk/Norfolk-car-boot-sales.html about 2/3 down page for contact details.
Usual disclaimer..I have no connexion..just had some good radio kit from there.
Old 12th Nov 2011, 12:47 pm   #8
david3006
Tetrode

Thanks all you guys for pointers as to where to get stuff.
Much appreciated!
David
Old 12th Nov 2011, 4:33 pm   #9
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

The Thursday auction in Fakenham has the occasional set, though I not been tempted yet; the ones I've seen so far are usually 1950 or 1960 'woodies'. Usual fare I guess for your average auction.

Regards,

Ian (also ex-BBC engineer)
Closed Thread