UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2013, 2:43 pm   #1
humorist2751
Pentode

Default Hammered finish paint on wood?

Greetings.

I have a Sobell TPS147 405 line television receiver; as some may know, this set has a silver-grey hammered finish paint on the majority of the cabinet surface (the top, sides and base, apart from the ventilation slots on the latter).

However, the cabinet is of wood, not metal - so what product did they use? Has anyone any experience of using "Hammerite" or similar products on wood rather than on metal?

The state of the cabinet is a bit scruffy, so I'd like to improve it - at the same time, I'd hate to make it worse than ever!

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 11th Feb 2013, 4:17 pm   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Hammered finish paint on wood?

Never throught of using Hammerite but sounds like a good idea. You could try it on a piece of scrap ply wood first.

Vince
Old 11th Feb 2013, 5:00 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've never tried but according to the manufactures website hammerite can be used on wood, http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/...red_finish.jsp

David
Old 11th Feb 2013, 7:51 pm   #4
G4XWDJim
Octode

I've done it several times by using a standard oil based primer/undercoat first. You might even get away with a modern water based one but they weren't around when I was using Hammerite.

Jim

Last edited by G4XWDJim; 11th Feb 2013 at 7:57 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 12th Feb 2013, 12:17 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

I painted the entire surface of the workbench in my garage with Hammerite, using a conventional quick drying acrylic white undercoat first. Excellent results, but I would be wary of using anything other than an acrylic undercoat, as there may be a reaction between the different formulas of the paint. Having said that, Jim reports success with a regular oil-based primer, so it obviously works, but I'd test it on a scrap bit of wood first.

Barry
Old 15th Feb 2013, 2:21 pm   #6
humorist2751
Pentode

Gents:

Many thanks for your responses; it appears that it can be done, but the advice to try it on some scrap wood first is obviously sound.

Having said that, silver-grey is one colour I don't have on hand, so I'll have to get hold of some first.
Old 15th Feb 2013, 9:33 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Use some other paint on the wood first. Wood is like a sponge and takes all the solvents out of the paint very quickly. Hammerite relies on two immiscible solvents and needs to dry at the right rate to produce the normal finish. It's carefully planned to work on an impermeable base.

David
Old 16th Feb 2013, 12:17 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I made a speaker enclosure out of plywood, primed it with several layers of aerosol primer, then used silver-grey Hammerite on it without any problems whatsoever. That was twenty years ago, and it still looks OK, if a little 'industrial'.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread