UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2011, 10:25 pm   #21
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Default Re: NVCF - Alexandra Palace CANCELLED !!!

Darn shame I was going to come down with a mate, i have booked a few days off work to go too, never mind at least i still get my days off.

Jay
Old 30th Jul 2011, 2:17 pm   #22
APTS Archive
Triode

This is such a shame and a missed opportunity for AP to strengthen their links with television history at AP. I'm so sorry that you have experienced the worst side of the trading company Mike. Dealings with AP charitable trust over the years has not been easy, but didn't realised the trading company were as bad. Sadly AP just don't seem to be able to get their act together and conduct themselves in a professional manner.

A totally lost opportunity - and one that could have provided a springboard for future television related events at AP!
Old 31st Jul 2011, 7:09 pm   #23
Pamphonica
Nonode

Mike,
that's a real blow for all the people who had been slaving away to get the show on the road. It was the right time and place for a celebration and show and would I hope have had a very good turn-out.

I have memories of RSGB shows at Ally Pally and it was always a bit hit and miss.
(Anyone remember the great RSGB shows at the Horticultural Halls in Victoria?)

Anyway my commiserations to all for the disappointment. No-one wins when this sort of inefficiency happens.

All I can say is thanks very much for trying so hard to make it happen.

Jeremy
Old 31st Jul 2011, 7:24 pm   #24
Danny
Heptode

Gutted. I had booked a camp nearby and was going to have a bit of a break. Sad news, it would have been a good'n . I hope something can be arranged but do realise that members work for a living so will understand if not.

Maybe we can have a virtual display with video clips of all our sets and the history behind them. Or may be a collective DVD! If someone could do the editing I'm sure with all the sets in our possession most makes could be covered. Many thanks for all efforts. Danny.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 7:56 pm   #25
radiolot
Tetrode

I had a good chat the other day with my boss at work about the possibility of gallery space at the Knightsbridge office for something. I'm afraid that week in early November is the period design sale, which takes up the whole building. Bit of a shame but I had visions of my view on upstairs whilst the BVWS and AP groups had a display with sets in the big room downstairs and some left over space on the second floor for the stalls.
If the space was there, we would not have charged, as any public/newcomers would have been 'Bonhamed' by leaflets and sale calendars!
Sorry chaps, we can't do a 'Bonhams' space replacement for AP.

But for those who have booked rooms/tents/friends sofas for that date and still want to, I would be delighted to invite as many of you as possible to the 6th November view start to see the TVs and radios in.

One wonders, if the Crystal Palace were still standing, if the management there would have housed us for an event? As a south Londoner, I am afraid to say I am biased declaring they most probably would have done!

Let's keep our heads close and continue thinking - there must be somewhere we can do this - there is still time and 75 years is an important anniversary.

have fun
Laurence
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 12:10 pm   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It's frustrating to see the ad in the Bulletin with the original date changed by sticker before the Society was let down over the whole event. It's now become a historical item in itself. I'm wondering if the BBC are planning to do anything in November? I was able to visit AP for the first time two years ago and found the whole site building/railway station/ mast and location amazing. There was a reception office still with a BBC sign left up but the chap on duty explained that there was no Beeb connection at all anymore-a bit confusing I thought. In fact there was a sixth form college recruitment event taking place and when it grew dark [perhaps because of my dark blue attire] people kept asking me for directions and information.

I'm motivated to post this because I was looking at "Pioneers of TV" again last night which has a lot of AP content [6/7/02 one of the earliest BBC4 programs-presenter Mariella Frostrop]. It's an early indicator of how great this channel would become at using vintage material. [There will be a ten year anniversary point there next February-if the detractors don't succeed in destroying it]. If nothing else it would be worth broadcasting material like this again through November. Perhaps the BVWS could make an official request for an Ally Pally night on BBC4?
Dave W
Closed Thread