UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2019, 4:56 pm   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Sony EL-5 Elcaset Motor Rumble Noise

Hi all

My Sony EL-5 has recently started making a motor grumble sound when playing.

It’s nothing to do with an Elcaset though, as I know the Elcasets themselves can make grinding sounds without dissembling and re-lubrication. My machine still makes this noise when no cassette is inserted as my videos shows below.

https://youtu.be/uPMK-Y2igRU

I just wondered Is the motor in need of lubrication? It doesn’t seem to be affecting the performance of the unit, but it’s kinda annoying when playing.

My machine was nut & bolt restored when i bought it and it is immaculate inside and out so it seems quite odd as it’s been fine up until a couple of days ago.

It doesn’t seem to make the noise during rewind, just playing and fast forward.

Occasionally when playing a tape this annoying grumble sound fades, goes quieter and becomes much less noticeable.

Any help would be appreciated, but I understand Elcaset is a very rare and obscure format which not many people will have heard of or have experience with.

IMO I don’t think it’s serious or anything as the machine seems to be operating fine performance wise, but would like it resolved as it’s rather annoying more than anything.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 12:42 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Sony EL-5 Elcaset Motor Rumble Noise

I would take the cover off and look and listen. Try and locate from where the sound comes.
Closed Thread