UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2019, 1:09 am   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad 11 Problem.

How close to full chat "3" on the volume control might be will depend on the relative level from your signal source vs the sensitivity of its input to the 22. The number on its own is meaningless- could mean anything in terms of output level.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Dec 2019, 1:32 pm   #22
sparkymike
Octode

Phono volume on my setup is well balanced with the radio output and I guess all Quad FM valve radios were pretty constant on signal level when they came out of the factory. One thing for sure, I will never turn this up to no. 10 !!
One job to do is to cast up a couple of the white mono/stereo knobs. I have a tin of the casting material, so a two part mould is on the cards.
Mike.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 3:31 pm   #23
Luxman1050
Octode

I agree with everyone definitely need to change the caps having done a few QC2 models myself it will make all the difference if memory serves me right I think the bass caps are 0.0047uf if you put in 0.047uf you'll get no bass response. Also you will need an adapter for a deck so you get the right output for type of deck used otherwise probably need to turn it up full volume just to hear the vinyl your playing. Easy way to make sure things are working is just plug in a CD player to TO and 1 on rear rcas you should get full volume and all controls filters etc should work if not as everybody said change out caps not all at once as they say change a few check etc. The resistors even though high I found don't tend to cause many probs although If your gonna do a refurb change it all. TDK 2 watt resistors are quite nice bit pricey but produce nice warm sound and bring out the bass. Bit big but can fit them in.
The voltage reading as previously said is fine I usually get 360 to 370 with GZ32.

Hope helps.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 7:20 pm   #24
ahankinson
Triode

I found this walkthrough of the QII schematics quite helpful when working on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQ3llxBR6g

Won't help you with the preamp, but a few useful tips for knowing how to service them.
Old 9th Dec 2019, 9:59 pm   #25
sparkymike
Octode

Well a modicum of success I think.
I was altering the setting on the three position filter, back and forward to see if it made any difference and on moving it several times it seems to have made a difference. The bass is now quite evident with the control fully on, but for some reason the level control reduces the volume when rotated. I am now thinking of some way the filter contacts can be cleaned. I assume they have gone a bit high resistance, although I should be able to work out the path through the switch and check it with my meter.
I also found that one of the disc player phono plugs is not making contact that well in the Quad and I am wondering if they need to be a longer variety of phono plug for best contact.
Mike.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 1:02 pm   #26
Luxman1050
Octode

Yes that's fine when you move the filter dials you will alter the sound volume bass and treble as they are in essence used to fine tune the sound. You'll find as you turn them volume drop bass may increase decrease and the same for the treble.
The black on the contacts is usually not corrosion but a protective layer to stop corrosion. If they have powdery white stroke green deposits then that's signs of corrosion I.e been exposed to damp humid environment depending on where they where stored.
When you push the buttons you should see a track line but you will need the adapters to test whether there making contact or not as they are generally for a deck and the different type of vinyl and needle you use.
The rca Jack's are worth changing try and find those with a small thread and not too long so you don't need to drill too large a hole to fit them in pretty easy job. Pic attached of some installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15759792662725771588767063327767.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	195126   Click image for larger version

Name:	15759792860903265638612483922765.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	195127  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 3:20 pm   #27
sparkymike
Octode

Is that a Quad mono unit ? If so first time I have seen the insides of one.
In a previous post I stated that the level switch was three positioned , but it is four. I had forgotten the Cancel position.
If anyone has taken one of those wafer switches apart, I would be interested to see photos of what is in them.
One other point. The above switch is quite hard to operate, but has always been like that since the 60's when I bought it.. Is that normal ?

I went from Ipswich to Norwich to buy the Quad and brought it home on my Lambretta ! The seller was a friend of the family and had a shed in the garden with armchairs and cocktail cabinet where he used to while away the hours as he could not get on with his step daughter, who owned the property.
Mike.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 5:06 pm   #28
Luxman1050
Octode

Yes it's the mono unit but pretty much same as the unit you have except they have crambed a stereo unit into the same size cabinet bit stupid and cost cutting exercise I would have thought. Yeah the cancel just cuts out everything bass treble and filter so you will not get any response from them so don't think its broke.
Funny enough having problems with volume pot on one off mine took it apart cleaned reassembled the wrong way round called rushing and broke the wiper contacts ****** gutted. Those silver arms one broke off other bent see pic.

The filter slope is always bit stiff but you can add a bit of 3 in one oil on the bearings and shaft will loosen it a bit. Clean old crap off first.

Hope helps Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15759936336224252163983205592348.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	195153  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 9:30 pm   #29
audiomm
Pentode

As has been suggested in earlier posts, I'd recommend a complete overhaul as this will almost certainly guarantee performance as per original factory specs and reliability to boot.
It isn't that difficult to do - the few components on the top side of the switchbank are fiddly though -access by removing the faceplate & knobs and removing the 2 screws holding the switchbank,which then allows you to swing the assembly down to gain access. Noisy/intermittent Switches & pots can usually be sorted with switch cleaner e.g. Deoxit or similar.
When I did mine, I did the whole nine yards...... repaint casework & knobs, replaced sockets and I made a couple of plug in adaptors as well. See attached photos. Cheers Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00017.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	195157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	195158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00020.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	195159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	195160  
Old 10th Dec 2019, 10:10 pm   #30
sparkymike
Octode

At the moment it seems to be getting back to life on its own. Most of the improvement has been that wafer switch. Should have checked that first.
The yellow socket for the FM radio HT needs replacing. Its been butchered by previous owner. Where can I get one of those ? Any idea of the make ?
Just played an LP with Jimmy Smith on a Hammond B3 and George Benson on guitar and the clarity is returning. There is a very slight tinniness on some records that I can just detect. Don't know if I could pick that up on a scope ?
I did run a check on all the pre-amp anode voltages and all pretty close to where they should be.
Mike.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 1:26 am   #31
audiomm
Pentode

Quad will likely still have those Yellow (as well as the Black & Blue) sockets.
I still have a copy of the spares price lists for the Quad 22 and the Quad II Amplifier from April 1995 and the Yellow socket part number is/was PQMS5YW.
If you can't get one from them, I have new ones of all the colours that I purchased from Quad back then, after I heard they were being taken over, so figured the time was ripe to futureproof my collection PM me if you want one.
Mike
Old 11th Dec 2019, 5:34 pm   #32
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks Mike, I may well come back to you on that.
One thing that has slipped my mind completely is the push button switches. I will give them a liberal dose of switch cleaner and hopefully more improvement.
Should they be lubricated in any way. (I know I am , partaking of my evening beer. !!)
Mike.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 1:39 pm   #33
sparkymike
Octode

Well a minor hic-cup, there was a strange smell and then a pop and one of the suppressor caps has decided to blow up. This was an X rated type + 100R, but smaller than the other original one, so must have been replaced sometime in the pre-amps life. I would have liked to have replaced it with one of the original types, but slim chance of that I guess. For future reference,can the original types have new components fitted inside.i.e. do the boxes open ok?
Mike.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 3:37 pm   #34
ahankinson
Triode

I haven't tried, but it would be difficult. They look glued together and sealed, possibly potted.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 4:10 pm   #35
sparkymike
Octode

I am sure I have seen these caps in some other vintage appliances but can't remember what. Hoover vac cleaner ?
All was fine until I plugged in my Quad FM tuner. A few seconds later the cap blew. Maybe it was on its last legs anyway, but I will now need to check out the tuner as well, I do not want to blow up the main Quad 11 transformer !!
I did notice that two of the solder pins on the HT/LT socket on one side were very close, so that may well have been the problem.
Mike.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 5:12 pm   #36
Luxman1050
Octode

The original safety cap on volume was a dublier no longer available. It's a sealed unit with thick leads coming out and impregnated with wax. I had two of these go and wax sprude out all over the place with a loud hissing all coming out from sides and leads. I think it would be difficult to cut open. From what I've noticed is most people don't seem to bother replacing them but I used Rifa X2 PMR 209 40/085/56/B 47nf 100r. That will do the trick if it's on volume pot. I think I got them from RS online as it's free postage next day delivery.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 5:14 pm   #37
Luxman1050
Octode

Forgot the original ohm for Dublier was 220r.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 5:51 pm   #38
John Caswell
Hexode

I use an XEB1201B filter from CPC, Pt Nr.CA06044. It has fly leads, easy to fit with DS adhesive tape and a Tyrap to the volume control on both QC2 and QC22.

John
Closed Thread