UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:24 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default BVWS Harpenden - time to move?

Hi All,

Given that Harpenden suffers from poor parking (you need to arrive early, or park in St Albans ) is it also time to find a better venue?

Ok, the hall is quite big, and has a nice lecture room, and seperate dining area, but this is all completely useless, unless people can actually park, and attend the meetings

Is it also time to try to attract different sellers?

Lets have suggestions for suitable venues, and ideally costings for them, taking into account the amount of room the current event requires.

Cheers
Sean

Anarchist and general trouble maker
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:44 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Harpenden - time to move?

Sean, you are not the first to have suggested a move from Harpenden. A few years ago the hall was getting severely overcrowded and we were contemplating a move to a bigger venue. Then the numbers dropped a little and the idea was dropped. The parking isn't that bad. I have arrived at all sorts of times over the years, from very early when I was helping to set up, to very late when I couldn't be bothered. I never had to park too far away. There's quite a bit of parking within a few hundred yards of the hall but it's scattered. I agree it can be a bit of a scrum if you're a stall holder with a lot to unload. There are also 1 or 2 dealers who shall be nameless who rather take the mick by parking right outside the front door in an area that would otherwise be most useful for unloading.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:08 pm   #3
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
The parking isn't that bad.
Hi Jeffery, er you sure you got the right event ? Harpenden ?

I've often found it very difficult. However if anyone is really stuck the railway station car park is just a couple of minutes walk.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:11 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
Anarchist and general trouble maker
... who has clearly just read my recent post in the NVCF section....

We welcome suggestions for suitable venues in the same general area of the country, and will investigate anything that sounds viable.

Grumbles about the current venue and just suggesting that it be moved don't help. Good ideas for suitable venues would be much more helpful.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Feb 2006 at 9:52 pm.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:23 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Sean is not just your average grumbler, anarchist or trouble maker.

He has a track record of organising amateur radio events and is definitely somebody to have on your side. A safe pair of hands and not prone to panicking when trouble strikes.

Despite Jon's comments, I still reckon there's just about enough parking in Harpenden. There's no other reason I can think of to move, apart from that infinitely depressing portrait of Eric Morcambe that hangs in the entrance hall.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:51 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Sean is not just your average grumbler, anarchist or trouble maker.
I agree. I meant to put a simile in there - sorry Sean! Now amended.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Feb 2006, 10:19 pm   #7
PWH
Heptode

I go by train & have no problem parking. See you next week!
Old 28th Feb 2006, 9:22 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I have only been once, and found that parking was not a problem - I ended up in the small cul-de-sac at the end of the hall is.

Later, I noticed that there is plenty of room all around the residential streets near the area (hope the natives don't mind too much).

Even though it is nearly 200 miles for me, I thought it was a good venue and easy to get to from the M1.
Old 28th Feb 2006, 10:30 am   #9
newlite4
Octode

The station car park is only a four minute walk from the rear of the hall, is free all day Sunday and has plenty of spaces.
Neil
Old 28th Feb 2006, 10:44 am   #10
GMB
Dekatron

I've never had a problem parking their either.
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 11:19 pm   #11
Jack Weber
Retired Dormant Member

Personally, I think it's an excellent venue and I hope it won't be changed. We've never had any problems with parking in the surrrounding streets.

Jack
Old 4th Mar 2006, 7:58 pm   #12
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwhughes
I go by train & have no problem parking.
Yes, situated just a few minutes walk from the station with a good Sunday train service on the Brighton-Bedford line it's a brilliant venue for us public transportees - please don't move it!!

Alvin
Old 4th Mar 2006, 8:06 pm   #13
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all if it can be moved nearer Suffolk then fine !!! (selfish) but other than that I have never had a prob parking and am very happy with the venue, so would prefer it stays where it is
Old 4th Mar 2006, 10:04 pm   #14
maxwell
Triode

Hello there.

Harpenden is fine, I cycle there so that I can’t bring any more radios back home! Seriously though, there is another public car park a short walk away in Bowers road (behind Sainsburys) that is also free on Sundays.

Max.
Old 4th Mar 2006, 11:33 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It's interesting to get opinions from a number of attendees like this here. Normally all the committee hear is the grumbles, not comments from those who are happy with things as they are.

I have only atteneded one Harpenden event (it's too far to travel from Hereford) and didn't arrive until after the public entry time, yet was still able to park close by (due to having a fairly small car). It would also have been possible to park back down the road too, which would only have been a couple of minutes walk.

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Mar 2006, 12:34 am   #16
joe
Rest in Peace

I'll add my name - perhaps a bit selfishly - to the list of those happy with Harpenden as a venue since for me its only some 20 minutes up the M1, & I've never had any problem parking. Admittedly I'm used to parking in Central London!
The hall is a fair size, the second hall means that lectures can carry on without disturbing the main meeting & the refreshment area seems adequate. The entrance hall also is big enough for a few tables as well.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tomorrow but I'll look forward to the next one.

Joe
Old 5th Mar 2006, 8:57 pm   #17
ianj
Heptode

Smile Re: Harpenden - time to move?

Im quite happy at Harpenden--Ive not had trouble parking ever--ianj
Old 5th Mar 2006, 9:38 pm   #18
Brased
Hexode

I'd like to add my name as another content with Harpenden. I generally park by the green opposite the halls and then drive round to load up after the auction. If only I didn't tend to bid on such heavy items I'd use the train as it's an excellent service even on Sundays. It's also useful having the shops (and cash machines!) so close by.

By all means look for somewhere else but I think it will be hard to find somewhere better overall.

Edward
Old 6th Mar 2006, 12:19 pm   #19
Steve_P
Dekatron

I attended every one until 2003. And NEVER had a problem.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Mar 2006, 9:25 pm   #20
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

No problem here either. I suspect if you expect to park very close you may be disapointed. If you can walk there is an abundance of spaces. Keep it at Harpenden.

Kneale
Closed Thread