UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2016, 3:29 pm   #1
dorabella
Triode

Default Bush SRP31D Record Player with BSR UA16 Monarch Deck.

Bush Monarch SRP 31D Starting Operation doesn't work

My record player has a BSR deck (I think)
The problem I have is with the starting sequence

The records (2 or 3 or more ) are stacked up, ready to slide down the spindle. When the rej/play lever is operated , the first record drops and brushes the size detector.

At this point the tone arm should move a short distance to position itself over the start point of the disc. The tone arm should then fall slowly to the start groove of the disc and the music starts playing. The process should then be repeated in turn for each of the discs on the stack.

That's what should happen. But with my machine, nothing happens.
The tone arm stays in place, it doesn't move; and then the record player switches itself off.

Apart from this, the record player works perfectly and there's no problem in playing a single disc by using the "man" setting.

I've tried adjusting the settings of the tone-arm and I've checked the mechanism beneath the deck. Although all seems in order below decks , I wonder if there is a spring missing somewhere .
Any help given would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 5:31 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush Monarch SRP31D starting operation won't work

The Autochanger in your Bush is a BSR UA16. You should be able to download from this site the service sheet for a BSR UA15 (very similar) which will show you and explain the linkages/springs on the underside of the deck to start the motor/auto sequence. Edward
Old 5th Feb 2016, 5:59 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Bush Monarch SRP31D starting operation won't work

If the auto function hasn't been used for a long time it could well be solidified grease gumming up the mechanism. They are well greased when they leave the factory and work well in a nice warm living room with regular use. When they are banished to the garage for many winters - they seize up. Try turning a hair dryer on all the levers and pivots underneath, get it all good and hot and see if it starts to come to life.
Old 9th Feb 2016, 7:41 pm   #4
dorabella
Triode

Default Re: Bush SRP31D starting operation won't work

Thank you for the advice. With a service sheet and some close-up observation I managed to solve the problem.
Underneath the deck is the mechanism which operates the movement of the tone-arm. Its main feature is a large metal plate and this moves forwards and backwards in response to the rotation of the platter. The plate does two things:
(a) it raises the height of the tone-arm and
(b) It allows the tone arm to position itself at the start point of the disk.
This large plate can be clearly seen. However, what can not be seen is another plate, much smaller and attached to the back of the larger plate. This smaller plate is very strangely shaped, almost wheel - like with two protruding edges designed to move the tone arm to the start point.
My problem was caused by the fact that this smaller plate was mis-aligned. After a few manual adjustments (and a few tweaks with the screwdriver) the problem was solved and now the record player works perfectly.
Again, many thanks for the help.

Dorabella.
Old 9th Feb 2016, 10:30 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRP31D starting operation won't work

Well done!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:58 am   #6
dorabella
Triode

Default Motor stopped working

Hi,

I have a Bush SR31 Monarch record player. The motor has stopped working. I have looked at the workings "under the platter" and have followed the electric current. It's fine until it reaches a small box situated just above the motor. The wire going into the box is "live"; but the wire leaving the box (i.e. supplying the motor) is dead.

Inside this box there are copper contacts which don't actually touch.

How can I rectify the problem? Any advice given would be most welcome.

How can one describe the box?

Sincerely,

Dorabella
Old 11th May 2018, 12:50 pm   #7
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: motor stopped working

I’d recommended posting some pictures here so we can help better. It sounds to me like you have located the motor switch contacts which will be connected together by part of the mechanism when the deck is switched on. You should see this part move when you switch to “auto” on the deck. Do this while unplugged, depending on your level of experience you may wish to use a multimeter on continuity test mode to follow the wiring. You will also need to remove the turntable from the cabinet to get a look underneath and confirm the motor is getting power.

Motor failures are fairly unusual so hopefully the fault is elsewhere

Adam
Old 11th May 2018, 1:10 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: motor stopped working

Have a look at this thread for repair options as it could be the same fault:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145926
Old 11th May 2018, 5:10 pm   #9
dorabella
Triode

Hi All,

Thank you for your welcome suggestions. I have tried to upload some photos and I hope they get through. Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Dorabella

Hi, I should add that when I join the contacts together,
the motor works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_100620.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	162635   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_101039.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	162636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_101721.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	162637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_101828.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	162638  
Old 11th May 2018, 8:59 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Motor stopped working

Hi, that is the motor control switch, designed to stop the motor at the finish of the record.
With the power lead unplugged carefully examine the switch and see if the contacts are a) clean and b) can physically make.
If they need bending to make adjust very carefully.

Ed
Old 12th May 2018, 7:11 am   #11
dorabella
Triode

Hi Ed

Welcome news. Now I know the name of the part. How does it work? Can you help, please.

Dora
Old 12th May 2018, 10:24 am   #12
Nuvistor
Dekatron

There will be a series of levers from the start knob that push the switch contacts together.

A fault in those levers, the contacts in the switch being out of alignment, those contacts being worn or dirty can cause the switch not to work.

Remove the power, all the fault finding can be be done without power, unplug it from the mains.

You should be able to see the switch action when you push the start lever, if the contacts move together and touch that proves the levers etc are OK. Then check the switch contacts for being worn, dirty or out of place.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:23 pm   #13
dorabella
Triode

Ed, Frank and all,

Very grateful - problem now solved. For some reason the lever from the start knob wasn't making contact with the push lever of the switch. I made adjustments there and then cleaned everything up. Motor now running normally.
Once again, thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,
Dorabella
Old 14th Nov 2018, 10:08 am   #14
dorabella
Triode

Default Needle arm doesn't fall correctly

Hi

My Bush Monarch SRP 31 D has developed a strange fault. Everything works fine except for the starting process. The needle arm rises as usual and then moves across to its normal position immediately above the record's starting position. But then it moves back about 1/4 inch and so misses the record completely when it falls.

I have two of these machines and so can compare this one with the other, which behaves perfectly.

I've made all the adjustments to the screw at the base of the arm. I'm beginning to think that there is something going on "under the bonnet".

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful because it's no fun having to position the arm manually at the start of each record.

Thanks in advance
Old 16th Nov 2018, 12:54 am   #15
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Needle arm doesn't fall correctly

There is hardened grease on the plate that raises the arm. You will need to take the deck out of the player and flip it over and do a thorough clean and re-grease.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 6:30 pm   #16
dorabella
Triode

Default Re: Needle arm doesn't fall correctly

Ben,

Thank you so much for your reply. Good advice - I'll de-grease straight away.

Sincerely,
Old 14th Jan 2019, 5:06 pm   #17
dorabella
Triode

Default Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D

After some good advice from Forum colleagues, my Bush Monarch has been working perfectly until recently. Now there are two problems:

1. The red "on" light has stopped showing.
2. There is no sound coming from the speaker.

The turntable is functioning and it is still possible to hear the "scratched " music . But turning the volume control up or down makes no difference. As stated, the sound is not coming from the speaker.

What could be the problem?

Any comments much appreciated.

Sincerely

Dorabella
Old 14th Jan 2019, 5:27 pm   #18
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D

Check the fuse and if failed check why, the motor will work even if the fuse as failed.
Unplug from the power whilst you do the check.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 5:29 pm   #19
TonyDuell
Dekatron

From a quick look at the manufacturer's service information (available 'up top'), the thing I would check first is the 'fuse' FS1. I put 'fuse' in quotes as this is actually a 6V 0.5A (3W) bulb rather than a conventional fuse. It's not the bulb for the red 'On' indicator, it's another one alongside it on the chassis.

But of course this 'fuse' might have blown due to a fault elsewhrere in the amplifier circuit which causes it to draw too much current.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 10:58 pm   #20
Michael Maurice

I've had the fuseholder (lampholder in this case) have poor connections, with the power off, carefully unscrew the bulb and screw it back in, do not over tighten it.

You will almost certainly have to replace the rectifier and a couple of capacitors.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread