UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2018, 7:02 am   #1
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Default Grey Spraypaint for a Yaesu FC757at

The top horizontal plastic part of the front panel has small dots of white paint all over the grey paint. These often come off using just a thumbnail but not in this case. Now my efforts to remove the dots have caused the underlying black plastic to show through in a couple of places. I think I will remove all of the paint, dots and all and spray paint the whole thing. Anyone got any idea whre I might be able to source suitable Yaesu paint, or the name of a car paint?

Ian
Old 25th Jun 2018, 7:20 am   #2
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Grey Spraypaint for a Yaesu FC757at

When I resprayed my Yaesu FT-101ZD I took the cover along to my local car paint supplier and they made an aerosol up for me to match perfectly, about 3 years ago and it cost about £12.

John
Old 25th Jun 2018, 9:22 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Most towns of any size have firms who will colour match aerosol paints.

There are scores of firms who will match car paint codes and Pantone colours, but that's only of help for cars. Some time ago I had a BMW motorbike with minor damage to the fairing, which was sprayed metallic silver. I obtained the correct BMW aerosol, but it was a poor match due to the fairing having darkened over the years. I took the bike to a local firm who had shade cards for every shade of every colour. Each card had a hole in the centre about 20mm diam. They placed cards over the faring till they got an exact colour match and mixed an aerosol while I waited.

The only thing I'd say about Yaesu and other amateur radio cabinetry is that as I recall, the paint finish isn't high gloss, and is often slightly textured. Conversely, car paints are either high gloss solid colour, or two-part metallic/clear lacquer. Hence, though the colour may be a good match, the texture and level of gloss many not be.

These sites may be of interest:

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/

http://www.autopaintsbrighton.com/cu...ours-104-c.asp

Good luck in your endeavours Ian.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 10:05 am   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Maybe not so appropriate here, but for a quick panel 'grey' in the past I have simply sprayed on Halfords grey undercoat and then topped it with Halfords clear lacquer. Results are most convincing. Both paints are acrylic.

Steve
Old 25th Jun 2018, 10:22 am   #5
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
car paints are either high gloss solid colour, or two-part metallic/clear lacquer. Hence, though the colour may be a good match, the texture and level of gloss many not be.
I agree David and it's a point to remember when ordering but a good quality trade shop should be able to match it, I've just dug out the aerosol I bought and the handwritten label reads,

BS 4800 18B-21
Tideway
2K Satin Finish

this matches mine perfectly as I only resprayed the top cover and not the bottom half, I must admit that the type of finish didn't occur to me when I ordered it but the paint shop obviously sorted it out.

John
Old 26th Jun 2018, 11:46 am   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Thanks all. I didn't know that you could get bespoke aerosol paints. My local B&Q mixes household paints of course .The links you sent look intesting David. The BS numer is invaluable John. My house has rendered elevations part of which use a BS number paint. It is called by different names depending on the maker but the BS number always ensures the same colour. The main problem will be getting the whole unit to whoever can do a paint match. I don't want to remove the front panel! Plenty to think about now. It's a bit hot at present!!!

Ian
Closed Thread