UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2015, 6:12 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default Old Style Banana Plugs But New!

I know I'll probably get a response like: "We know, You Can Get Them Everywhere"! but, just in case there's someone out there whose been looking for exactly this type and, just like me, didn't know about them, here's what I just bought.

To go with the power adapter I made for my Dansette 1962 "Cadet" Magazine R2R recorder I wanted some banana plugs that looked from that period and came across these brand new "Old Style" ones, and they finish the job off just right.

I also remember the same style plugs being fitted to early Japanese products too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red & Black Banana Plugs.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	106155  
Old 27th Mar 2015, 8:53 pm   #2

Default Re: Old Style Banana Plugs But New!

Used a lot in the model world, I recently bought a 'power panel' for my aircraft field box and it came with a small bag of the things. Simple and effective.

Old 27th Mar 2015, 10:11 pm   #3
PaulE27
Pentode

Are you going to tell us where you got them? Or is it a secret?

Paul
Old 28th Mar 2015, 6:41 am   #4
FrankB
Heptode

On the banana plugs, be sure to get the good ones with the straight pin up between the "leaves" , prongs, or contact springs. HH Smith and Pomona are two good brands, and the plastic or bakelite sleeve seems to be of much higher quality. There is also a hollow brass screw that screws into the prong end of the plug, which makes soldering quite easy, and if you ever damage the plug, you can easily unscrew it and just replace the prong end.
If there is no center pin, the "leaves" quickly deform, lose tension, and become dumpster meat. (I toss any of the poor quality ones I get on equipment right into the garbage.)

And in case you didn't know, they are available in all 10 EIA colors too.
Old 28th Mar 2015, 10:25 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'm not a great fan of the plugs shown in cCamtechman's post, either, for the same reason as you, Frank. Here inb the UK Rapid Electronics stock (or used to stock - I haven't checked recently) some good quality Banana Plugs with solid centre pins. RS (Radiospares as was!) used to stock similar ones with a springy insert in the centre, which helped maintain good contact in the socket, but these I'm sure, are no longer stocked.
Old 28th Mar 2015, 10:47 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I bought some similar to those shown recently for a valve tester HT patch leads, it took some searching but I found some that were well designed and had heavy insulation

Lots of different types of 4mm banana plugs on Ebay for ridiculous prices, how do they make these so cheaply? You may have to search a few pages though to get the ones you want.

1/4" and RCA plugs are also going for daft prices and there are some great new designs as well, making it much easier to solder them. Some designs have better insulation and gripping than some "traditional" designs.

Andy
Old 28th Mar 2015, 2:04 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Are you going to tell us where you got them? Or is it a secret?
I don't want to infringe this site's "Section (C) Ebay" rules.

Last edited by camtechman; 28th Mar 2015 at 2:22 pm.
Old 28th Mar 2015, 2:18 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

And now, my life is complete !

I've now found the matching crock clips for these banana plugs.

Both these came with the "Build Your Own Battery Free Radio" that I bought via Postal Order after seeing an advert for "This Miracle Radio" in the back pages of the Saturday edition of the newspaper.

So, for the cost of 3 week's paper round money (back in 1964) I awaited this marvel and, when it arrived and after I assembled it, and clipped one of the crock clips to the springs of my bed, the faint sound of the Light Programme was like the whispering from an angel.

I must be getting too soft at the age of 67 !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crock clips.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	106185