UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2013, 5:17 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default The Radio Bygones wobbulator by Raymond Haigh.

Though it’s quite possible to carry out a complete alignment of an AM/FM radio using just a signal generator and ‘scope, a wobbulator is a useful bit of gear.

As it was quite a while since I had a go at making any test equipment and I’ve a nice fifties German table radio that I suspect has had the attention of the twiddle fairy that would be a good enough reason to make a wobbulator.

There have been a few over the years, both valve and transistor, but I settled on the Raymond Haigh design from Radio Bygones.

I had most of the bits except the Toko coils and needed to make a PCB..
Jabdog supplied all the coils, fortunately. A pleasant bunch to deal with.

When chatting to David (G4EBT) he mentioned that he had made one of these and had a few spare PCB’s, plus the fact that member Colin (Armstrong) had made a modification to give a better variable X-sweep using a 555 chip. David also had a spare PCB for this part!

So, off we went to the playroom. I used a mains power supply instead of the original battery and found a few hardwood strips for the case.

The front panel is grained aluminium alloy with waterslide transfers for the graduations.

I comb-jointed the wood and built the chassis to carry the printed boards; tried a few different ways as space is a bit tight due to the width of the hardwood I had.
I’m still not 100% happy with the panel layout and wiring, but time to try it.
After a few of the usual bits of mistakery we had a couple of running oscillators so that’s it for now, as Christmassy things needed to be done; we’ll give it a proper test in 2014 and point it at my Nordmende radio,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A - Parts.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	87295   Click image for larger version

Name:	F - PCBs in.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	87296   Click image for larger version

Name:	G - Front in case.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	87297   Click image for larger version

Name:	K - Wired up.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	87298   Click image for larger version

Name:	L - Wired up.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	87299  

Old 31st Dec 2013, 6:53 pm   #2
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The Radio Bygones wobbulator by Raymond Haigh.

Looks a very purposeful well built unit, I particularly like the innovative chassis design , very well thought out piece of test kit.
Mike
Old 31st Dec 2013, 7:49 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just a little note of caution if anyone has built or intends to build this nice little project: On the PCB overlay in the article, the range 3 & 4 coils need to be swapped over, as a glance at the circuit in comparison with the layout will show. I didn't discover that until I checked the coverage of the ranges on my frequency counter.

I too would like to record my thanks to Colin Armstrong for his valued assistance, including the the sweep generator circuit and the revised from panel design to accommodate the addition of the sweep generator control.

The main challenge for anyone tempted to build the project is sourcing the long since obsolete Toko coils. (The project was published in RB is 2003). I don't know if Peter at Jabdog still has any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wobbulator Front View.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	87303  
Old 1st Jan 2014, 5:22 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Thinking out loud, there must be plenty of nothing-special radiocassettes from the 1980s and 1990s with long-since-perished rubber in the cassette mechanisms, that are now just being kept for the radio for a bit of background sound; and they would all have been to fairly similar designs, dictated by the ICs used. Would such a receiver yield any useful wound parts?
Old 1st Jan 2014, 10:39 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, David, for the nudge about the error in the circuit. Fortunately I did spot it when I looked at it originally.

Until I discovered Jabdog's Toko coils I did consider rewinding scrap IF transformers with the same sized formers from junked radios, as the inductance doesn't need to be precise with having a counter instead of a calibrated scale.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 8:49 pm   #6
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Mike,
That's a nice piece of kit you've put together. I'd like to build one of these, but before I order the back issue of Radio Bygones on CD, I would like to verify that the coils are still available from Jabdog. If it's not too much trouble, could you please post the part numbers of the coils so that I can contact Jabdog?

Many thanks in advance of your help.

Regards,
Colin
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 6:15 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Colin,

The original spec Toko coils, now unavailable, were:
L1 - RW06A7752EK (green core)
L2 - 154FN8A6438EK (violet core)
L3 - 154FN8A6439EK (yellow core)
L4 - KXNK3767EK (pink core)

Jabdog will tell you what the equivalents are if they still have them in stock.

HTH

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 4th Jan 2014 at 9:20 am. Reason: Typos corrected.
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 7:05 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Mike,

Jabdog's stand is usually at the G-QRP doo at Rishworth every October, and he sometimes has trays of toko formers and cans. Only about 30 mins away from you, but only once a year.

Might be worth developing toroid equivalents, but the lack of a twiddler is the usual problem.

David
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 10:26 pm   #9
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Mike,

Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Colin
Old 8th Feb 2014, 7:16 pm   #10
Mark James
Hexode

Another RH wobbulator! I am indebted to David for the PCB's and very useful advice and to Colin for the sweep generator circuit. I have managed to fit it into an old Avo box leaving a gap at the front for the leads and RF probe - the latter was described in the following Radio Bygones issue from the wobbulator. I housed the batteries in a double battery holder with pull out drawers which just fits within a gap in the 'works' and avoids having loose batteries in the storage compartment - visible with the drawers pulled out in one of the pictures. (A Bulgin component available from CPC - usual disclaimer etc.) I have attached some pictures and as you can see from the trace it works!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chassis 1.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	88778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box 1.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	88779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box 2.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	88780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trace 1.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	88781   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Probe.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	88782  

Old 8th Feb 2014, 7:57 pm   #11
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Nice job Mark!

Colin
Old 9th Feb 2014, 11:38 am   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Well done in completing the 'wobby' Mark - the AVO box looks as though it was made for the job!

The RF Probe looks good too. (A bit of a fiddly task to squeeze everything into the little Maplin probe box, eh!)
Closed Thread