UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2015, 4:47 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Fuse with a difference!

I have a Mesa guitar amp in for repair and found this in the mains fuse position - a 2R 1/4W !

It's a new dodge for me, what were they thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0743.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	106744  
Old 8th Apr 2015, 4:52 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuse with a difference!

In some ways it's a sensible idea.

See the spring at the end? That's under tension - if there's a sustained overload not-quite-enough to blow a traditional fuse, it will nevertheless heat the resistor, melt the solder, and the spring will then retract, breaking the circuit.

A similar idea was used in a lot of 1950s/1960s TVs: a chunky wirewound resistor with a soldered-closed leaf-spring on the side. Prolonged overload melted the solder and the spring did the rest.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 5:26 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have some similar fuses in the workshop, I think they were removed from a video recorder I scrapped.
Mine too are spring loaded at one end.

Mark
Old 8th Apr 2015, 10:18 pm   #4
ITAM805
Nonode

thanks guys

interesting as it obviously has been working, but if someone said to me can I put a 1/4W resistor in the 240V mains supply of a 20W valve amp (probably drawing 30+ watts with the heaters etc) my gut instinct would be - NO!

But as ever, we live and learn
Old 8th Apr 2015, 10:36 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

1/4 watt resistors are normally rated to 250V DC. Under short circuit conditions I suspect that the resistor would burn out before the the temperature could rise enough to melt the solder. In that case the carbon blackened resistor would be subjected to 350V peak. Not 100% happy with this idea.

Al
Old 8th Apr 2015, 10:53 pm   #6
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
interesting as it obviously has been working, but if someone said to me can I put a 1/4W resistor in the 240V mains supply of a 20W valve amp (probably drawing 30+ watts with the heaters etc) my gut instinct would be - NO!
It would depend upon the value of the resistor.
In this case 2 ohms. If the mains input current was 0.1 amp, then 0.2 of a watt would be dissipated in the resistor, within its rating.
At 0.15 amp mains input (more probable IMHO) the dissipation would be 0.3 of a watt, somewhat in excess of the nominal rating but arguably acceptable if the purpose is overload protection rather than a stable resistance as part of a circuit.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 12:15 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

That's quite a common type of commercial fuse, it's a time delay fuse and has a normal fuse wire and surge spring attached to the resistor. I suspect it's to modify the fuse's I2t characteristic.

http://uk.farnell.com/littelfuse/031...slo/dp/1149695

Last edited by McMurdo; 9th Apr 2015 at 12:22 am.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 12:26 am   #8
hans
Heptode

As far as I can see the resistor is 1.2 ohm.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 10:28 am   #9
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks Kevin

I've never seen one before, certainly not in an amp. Little Fuse know their stuff so it must be a sound idea, and from what mark pirate said it's not a new idea either?

Hans, yes you're correct but the fuse measures 2R
Old 9th Apr 2015, 10:49 pm   #10
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I have come across this before in VCR's, they used a low value low wattage resistor as a type of Slow-Blow fuse. Took me some time to figure it out as in my case the resistor was soldered into to the PCB and looked like a normal component
Old 9th Apr 2015, 11:32 pm   #11
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Could it be a fuseable resistor? I have used these in place of a "proper" fuse on projects over the years. They are available from RS and Farnell etc and come in various values to suit different overload currents.
Closed Thread