UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2014, 2:45 pm   #1
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Pocketfone. Transistors.

Hi, does anyone have any info on a transistor GM378B. It was used in the 1st local oscillator of early Pye Pocketfone radios. Also another transistor E5103 also used in the same radio. Any info or equivalents gratefully received.
Old 4th Jan 2014, 4:15 pm   #2
Mikebay
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye Pocketfone

Hello Pyeman85,
Welcome to the forum
E5103 appears to be a Silicon PIN type photo transistor, in a TO18 case
GM378B, nearest I can find is GM378A, which is a VHF low current amplifier, PNP Germanium, Vcb max 20v, Vce max 15v, Veb max 0.3v, Ic 50mA, Pmax 75mW, good for approx 360MHz and Hfe min 20, and manufacturer was Texas. I should imagine yours, with the B suffix is an uprated near equivalent.
Old 5th Jan 2014, 2:56 am   #3
majoconz
Heptode

Default Re: Pye Pocketfone. Transistors.

Is that the Pocketfone in the sky blue/grey case that easily converts to the 70cm ham band? A perforated foil antenna as a speaker grill? 9v battery? I have one in the bottom of my bottomless junk box in a lockup somewhere! And THE MANUAL! It's yours for postage if and when I can find it!
Old 6th Jan 2014, 6:53 pm   #4
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info gentlemen, however finding something suitable is proving difficult.
I contacted one firm in Lichfield who have some GM378B in the USA.
They wanted £22 each minimum order 5, we'll forget about them I reckon.
With reference the E5106, in cicuit it's only a switch so I wonder if there are any modern alternatives in such a case TO18?
Old 6th Jan 2014, 6:55 pm   #5
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Martin, what would the postage be from NZ ?
Old 6th Jan 2014, 7:21 pm   #6
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info, the parts list index in the service manual actually states GM378B.
I tried a 2N918 but that didn't work I can't imagine why. The 1st oscillator runs at around 88Mhz, maybe the Ft of the 918 is too high. I just wanted to find a good cheap alternative, the BF180 and the BF181 are no problem. I repair, re-crystal quite a few of these models but with the crystals running at £15 it takes the sting out of doing the conversion in the first place. Good old Pye, nothing like an obsolete part.
Old 6th Jan 2014, 8:30 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Try Peter, G3ZVI, of Garex Electronics, He used to supply lots of PYE radio parts, and may well have some old stock laying around.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:12 am   #8
majoconz
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeman85 View Post
Thanks Martin, what would the postage be from NZ ?
I'll dig it out of the lockup, wrap it and take it up to the PO and find out - although our 'on line' calculator is usually pretty good. Hope you're not in a screaming hurry!
Old 8th Jan 2014, 8:36 pm   #9
jim_jobe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeman85 View Post
I tried a 2N918 but that didn't work I can't imagine why
The 2N918 is an NPN type but I thought the GM378B was PNP?
Old 10th Jan 2014, 4:56 pm   #10
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, yes that's correct it is NPN. I couldn't find any info on the GM378B so didn't know which type it was, the 2N918 was a shot in the dark. No damage done anyway I have the set working again used a 378 from a scrap set.
I was hoping that there would be a cheap alternative so I could hold stock. Not to be I'm afraid, the ex-pmr conversion days are fast fading given the price of crystals and the fact that not everyone has the knowledge or equipment to re-align receivers and transmitters. The cheap Chinese market seems to be booming, Boafeng etc do a synthesized 16 channel handheld with CTCSS for £20. I have one and I have to say it's fantastic, extremely sensitive.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 7:42 pm   #11
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

After further investigations to find a replacement for the GM378B I came across the AF106. It too is a Germanium PNP in a TO72 case.
I ordered a few from Germany and they arrived within a week. Next thing to do was to remove a genuine GM378B from a working PF1 set and replace it with the AF106. This I did and I switched the set on to hear the phut phut phut of the battery economiser circuit so it appears that the AF106 is a good replacement for the GM378B. All of the receiver stages have to work for the economiser to work. The PF1 I used was an original model crystaled for 452.750Mhz, I popped that frequency into my Marconi 2022 at around 10uV and after the smallest retune the receiver sprang to life. Thanks for your input gents an interesting topic and a good ending. I wish finding a replacement for the E5103 was as easy !!
Old 28th Mar 2015, 4:48 pm   #12
Pyeman85
Retired Dormant Member

Further to the GM378B transistor, I was on ebay and typed the number in and a listing appeared for NOS GM378B. I nearly fell off my chair, I contacted the guy who said he had hundreds so I struck a deal with him and now I have a good few spares. Happy days
Old 1st Apr 2015, 5:25 am   #13
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
I was on ebay and typed the number in and a listing appeared for NOS GM378B. I nearly fell off my chair
Synchronicity at work !

Even Jung & Freud had to conceed that they could not dismiss it!
Old 6th Apr 2015, 11:40 pm   #14
boiss
Pentode

I have a flexible antenna which might have been used on these radios, it is marked 68/78 MHz. I've been trying to identify the antenna connector, it seems to be a sort of male FME?? Any info on the Pye antenna connectors?
Old 7th Apr 2015, 9:21 am   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Sounds like the antenna for the "Pocketfone-70" or "PF2" range. Black plastic-cased beasties with a battery-pack that fits inthe nack held in with a T-shaped screw-in thing.

The antenna connection is whats known as a "Mini TNC".
Closed Thread