UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2014, 8:39 pm   #1
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.
Default Best antenna for MW Tx?

Hi,

As has been discussed elsewhere, I wanted to bring some life back to my old valve and transistor sets and stumbled across a simple AM transmitter design that would let me hook up an iPod and then listen to music or streamed radio. (legality issues aside...)

Built up a test circuit dead bug style. Works fine except that I have not found a good way of adding an antenna. A random bit of wire does ok, but is obviously very hit and miss.

I tried the suggested magloop, but couldn't get good results with that. Not experienced with these antenna types, so not really sure what I'm doing here.....

I am obviously not the first to this, so what's the recommended way of getting the RF into the air? Any details on a simple set-up would be great.

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 27th Feb 2014, 11:34 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Best antenna for MW Tx?

You can use a receiving loop in reverse - couple the transmitter output to the one turn
coupling loop as shown as #7. in this link :
http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_intro.htm
Old 28th Feb 2014, 6:19 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've always used 6 or 8 feet of wire as a 'throw-out' antenna. The resultant signal can be heard *ahem* a few hundred yards away.
Old 1st Mar 2014, 10:02 am   #4
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.

Thanks both for the reply.

I did try hooking it up to my ham antenna..... but I didn't want to whole village to pick it up... I'm the only Brit living here so it would be kind of obvious where the source was....

I'd like to play with a magloop, so will have some fun making one and see how it goes.

Ralph
Old 1st Mar 2014, 10:04 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The resultant signal can be heard *ahem* a few hundred yards away.
That range would mean this suggestion violates forum rule F2. Your action and post are also likely to bring yourself to the attention of OFCOM.

You may wish to read the forum rules again.

THREAD CLOSED.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread